Perfect Union banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experience with new Mini Tac 30

I just purchased a new Mini Tac 30 and wanted to share my experiences with it so far. Background on my experiences with the Mini. This is my 5th 58X series Mini (2-30’s and 3-14’s – NRA, Patrol and 18.5” Ranch). I stared out with an 18.5” SS mini 30. I purchased this rifle as an all around rifle that I could hunt and shoot low cost ammo with. I was initially disappointed with the rifle. I had some 10 year old Wolf ammo I used in my SKS. With this ammo I would experience 30% FTF (no issues in the SKS). I tried the Wolff Xpower hammer spring, but this only slightly improved the FTF. After spending lots of time on this forum I found out that this ammo’s primers are harder and set further back. I had heard that the Berdan primers on the Bear and MFS ammo as not has hard and not set as far back. Both of these work great in the Mini. Wolf black box seems dirtier and less accurate.
I fired 60 rounds of Silver Bear SP in my 1st outing and 40 rounds of Brown Bear HP in my second with the Tac 30. It does seem like the firing pin on the Tac 30 protrudes farther than my 18.5” barrel ranch. I experienced no issues. I sighted in @ 25yds. I was able to clover leaf at that range. Sighting in @ 25 yrs will shoot a few inches high @ 100 yds. @ 100 yards the groups open up to around 3”. I can constantly hit a 10’ round AR 500 plate at that distance with the peep sights. I prefer the 16” barreled Mini’s. They seem to be more accurate and feel more balanced. They also do not throw the shells as far as the 18.5” barrels (less gas I guess). I put a dot of white paint on the front sight to aid in sight picture. I did have a scope on my 1st mini, but the mini’s action was too much for it (cheap $50 scope). When you add a scope, the gun looses it handy feeling. For 100 yard shots I find the peep fine. I have now shot 700 of rounds of Berdan primed ammo through by 2 Mini 30’s and as long as it is Bear or MFS there are no problems. I have not had any firing pin breakage. Anyone using the Bear SP for hunting? How well do they expand?
I now would like Ruger to come out with a SS Tac 30. I would also like Ruger to come out with 10 round magazines for the 30. I have the 5’s and the 20’s now, but the 10’s are nice for bench shooting. There is not much information out there on the Tac 30. Hope you find this information useful. Look forward to hear others experiences.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The ProMag 10-rounders (metal) work great, I have 2 of them.

Agree about scoping making if feel less "handy", and with the 16" barrel this thing isn't really meant to be a tack driver anyway. The 7.62 starts to drop like a stone after about 150 yds, or so I read. I like the iron sites just fine out to 100 yds, which is the farthest I would be shooting with a carbine anyway. If I want to go farther, I'll get a scoped tack driver.

How did the brown bear feed? No issues? I've only tried it once, but I couldn't even get my M30 to feed the first round- even with a rap on the bolt lever, it wouldn't chamber. So I didn't even try. Something having to do with the laquer/poly coating on the ammo not allowing the rounds to rotate in the mags properly, ands causing feed problems. I'm going to get a few hundred rounds thru it first, the re-try the brown bear... if for no other reason that to get rid of it. I'll stick with brass-cased ammo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and info on the 10 rd promags ruger9. The Brown Bear works fine. What I have is the lacquer coats ones. They functioned fine in the Ruger 5 and 20 round mags. I understand the newer Brown Bear is Ploy coated. Can you verify what yours is? If the Brown Bear does not work out for you, then go with the Silver / Golden Bear of MFS. No need to go with the brass if you do not need to.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
silver bear shot ok in my 189series, a few fail 2 fire though.
have'nt tryed any of the mfs as I have a stock of the yugo brass-cased mil-surp. windex or similar after fireing, mildly corro-primered

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the reply and info on the 10 rd promags ruger9. The Brown Bear works fine. What I have is the lacquer coats ones. They functioned fine in the Ruger 5 and 20 round mags. I understand the newer Brown Bear is Ploy coated. Can you verify what yours is? If the Brown Bear does not work out for you, then go with the Silver / Golden Bear of MFS. No need to go with the brass if you do not need to.
My BB was purchased in the last 2 months, so it's probably the newer poly coated stuff.

I have 400 rnds of the Golden Bear, while not brass, is brass washed, and therefore functionally the same as brass. However- I want to shoot them out as well, due to the Berdan primers. I know it's not a rule that the harder berdan primers WILL eventually break the firing pin of the M30, but I'd rather not risk it... from now on, it's only boxer-primed, brass-cased (or brass washed) ammo for me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Let us know if you want to get rid of the Golden Bear ammo....;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts