Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was about a few years ago I watched this special on tv about problems that the model 700 is claimed to have, but I think it was only a problem with a very small number of rifles. Very small. They were saying that the basic mechanisms in the 700's bolt action can cause it to fire either without actually pulling the trigger, or when the safety is on but I dont remember exactly what the problem was. But there was a whole documentary that included the actual designer of the 700 who agreed with this issue. I have owned a 700 in .223 for quite a time now, maybe 20 years, and it belonged to my father who bought it a few years before he gave it to me, and between the two of us its been flawless. I have seen lots of people over the years who own 700's and never heard any problems from them. Has anyone else heard of this or had any problems with a 700?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a Remington 700 in .308 Winchester, 7mm Remington Mag, 300 Winchester Mag, and 338 Winchester Mag. I have owned these 17-32 years now and I have never once had a problem with them other than shooting out a couple of barrels. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one. In fact if I cant find someone that has a CZ-527 Carbine, I will most likely be buying another Remington 700 in 223 Remington in the next couple of months.

I have seen the same story your referring to several times over the last 10 years and just havent found any evidence to suggest that it holds much in the way of water. If it is a problem none of my guns apparently got that memo.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Im with crockett007 on this one. If your not happy with the 700's trigger...Jewel, Canjar and Timeny make excellent adjustable trigger for this gun that are drop in models.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im with crockett007 on this one. If your not happy with the 700's trigger...Jewel, Canjar and Timeny make excellent adjustable trigger for this gun that are drop in models.
I havent really even considered doing the trigger because it seems adequate and I havent had the problems talked about in that documentary. It would probably make the gun shoot a little more accurate with a softer trigger but its pretty good now. But now that you mentioned it I think that was the issue talked about in the show. But they said that only around 1% or maybe less of the 700's have this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts