Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It rains a lot in the north west were I live.

What kind of care do you use to protect the MINI 14 form the rain... Give it a nice coat of oil before going out in the rain to shoot.

Clean her and go over her with a paper towels to keep her dry then go over the MINI 14 with a real rag or thin coat of oil again for storage?

·
Registered
344 Posts

What kind of care do you use to protect the MINI 14 form the rain... Give it a nice coat of oil before going out in the rain to shoot.

Clean her and go over her with a paper towels to keep her dry then go over the MINI 14 with a real rag or thin coat of oil again for storage?
Nothing before I shoot and I shoot in rain and snow here in Wisconsin. After a session it goes on the gun vise, wiped dry, and then sits till it gets to room temp. Then it gets cleaned, lubed and the exterior wiped down with CLP gun wipes. No rust yet unlike some of my guns that will rust if you even sneeze on them. Same routine for all of my long guns.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Not only have I shot in the rain, my Mini has been in a saddle scabbed and we have done river crossings. Thats about the only time WD 40 gets around my guns and it didn't get dried out for at least four hours after getting soaked. I spray it down and pull a couple patches through the bore and call it good until I can clean and lube it like i normally do. Not had any problems with rust.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Love it! I bought ss version so I don't have to worry as much.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I live in Washington, so yes, I shoot in the rain often!

Pretty much use old grump's routine.

Just be sure that you don't let it sit in the case overnight before drying and oiling it.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I will stomp around in any weather and love a quiet steady rain. I have all 3 in ss, don't have to worry about smelly oils.

·
Runnin' and gunnin'.
36 Posts
I've been mean to mine in the past lol. I torture tested mine along side a bushmaster ar15 with mud, water, sand, and even sawdust. It worked great, and I just took it apart, wiped it clean, and let it dry out before I put a little bit of oil everything from the tip of the barrel back. Not a spot of rust after a little over 1 and a 1/2 years.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
the only thing I do if its raining on the hunt - is clip the finger off of a nitrile glove and use it as a bore condom so I don't get any water down the pipe. I carry slung w/ muzzle up

when I get back in, I disassemble wipe it dry, spray everything with WD40, wipe it off and lube with CLP.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Have with most of my guns, doesn't matter.

When I get home I strip 'em down and clean 'em with CLP and put them away.

Haven't had problems with it

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
in the rainforest here it can go from overcast to raining 4" per hour to sunny in a space of 2 hours... hence the barrel condom
:lol:

that you tube vid if the guy with the icy/wet barrel that blows up in his hands while elk hunting made me think that it's a good idea to do this

this one:

·
Registered
215 Posts

The best way to protect a combat rifle from rain is with a poncho on and the rifle slung muzzle down under it.

Guns and rainwater don't mix well. All the little springs within the mechanism are going to rust eventually. So a good coating of heavy oil applied with a toothbrush everywhere is your best defense against rust.

After you come out of the rain, disassemble and blow dry your gun, oil it again the same way with the toothbrush, and then put it back together.

The main danger is water in the bore, which you can prevent by putting a dry condom over the muzzle, held in place with a rubber band, and keeping the bolt closed, whenever you are out in the rain.

I presume you are talking about a SHTF situation, because normally normal people don't take their guns out into the rain.

·
Registered
215 Posts
in the rainforest here it can go from overcast to raining 4" per hour to sunny in a space of 2 hours... hence the barrel condom
:lol:

that you tube vid if the guy with the icy/wet barrel that blows up in his hands while elk hunting made me think that it's a good idea to do this

this one:

Gun Explodes ...: - YouTube
Nice video. I would have guessed this was staged for the film, but I can't imagine taking his glove off and not wearing eye goggles if he knew the gun barrel was going to blow up on him.

Guess he never heard of a rain poncho.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the only thing I do if its raining on the hunt - is clip the finger off of a nitrile glove and use it as a bore condom so I don't get any water down the pipe. I carry slung w/ muzzle up

when I get back in, I disassemble wipe it dry, spray everything with WD40, wipe it off and lube with CLP.
The Ruger mini's are not hunting guns however, they are combat guns.

There really isn't much worth hunting with them other than people.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

I call BS on that statement. My Mini has killed over a hundred coyotes and taken a couple deer and a few stray dogs and a bobcat raiding the chicken coop. And with thousands of round fired in practice and plinking it has never shot a person. Oh yea, its killed a couple of pigs too back when I lived in California.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts

Uhhhh.

bullsheezy on that there, good buddy.

anything that can be ethically hunted with a .223 round can be hunted with a mini.
we use em' here to cull feral goats, along with AR 15s
(try laying into a heard of 100s of goats with a bolt gun from a helicopter... doesn't work very efficiently.)

Anything that can be ethically hunted with the 7.62x39 round can be hunted with a mini 30
I almost exclusively hunt in the bush with a mini 30.
(it flies and hits like a 30.30 only it's semi auto - good for followups on angry piggies :lol:) Pig, goat and deer - all fall to the mighty mini 30.

it's IMHO one of the best guns on the market for that application.

the fact that a mini also makes a nice defensive carbine is icing on the proverbial cake.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Thanks for that very entertaining post, I needed the laugh. :lol:
My Polish cousin up north of me shoots deer every year with his because he hasn't got the memo that it is insufficient. I prefer my handguns and single shot .308 or my 20 gauge but I'm not very clued in either. Please explain to us the error of our ways and then prove that the deer in our freezers are not really dead but just wounded and will recover soon.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts