Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was shooting dogs today and realized that after 500rnds my wrist was getting sore. Started me thinking that a pistol grip design might reduce that. Anyone have experience with this? I really like the Fajen thumblehole sillouette stock, but have never shot one. Also, looking through Midway, I noticed 1:16 barrels. Whats up with these? Still looking for direction on the new project, but might be on to something now.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Personally I like the Fajen. It's real comfortable and you can hold it a few different ways and not sacrafice accuracy. I have one I'm thinking about selling. It's an unfinished laminated stock. It will accept bull barrels also.

:sniper:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey metolius. I got out my mini-14 with a Hogue stock, and my 2 thumbhole stocked 10/22's. One is a Silhouette, the other a thumbhole sporter. The thing I noticed was the grip. With the mini's regular rifle grip my right elbow is higher (straight out from my shoulder) to keep my wrist from pinching. The sporter my elbow comes down about 2 to 3 inches. The Silhouette my right elbow is down against my ribs, which for off hand shooting gives a more stable platform.

500 rds is a lot of shooten in a day (except in a war). The Silhouette stock has a large grip. If you have small hands it may be unconfortable you may have to whittle it down some. I have catcher mits for hands so it feels good to me. The sporter thumbhole stock has a smaller grip. With my mits, I wish it was larger, but it feels ok. Some people don't like the cheek pad on the silhouette, it is designed for shooting with your head in the up position. My check weld is lower on it than the other stocks, but again if feels good to me. The only down side is the silhouette doesn't fit as well in my bench rest, but it isn't my target gun, it is my hunter. When I finish it will be for field use, unless I get into Silhouette target shooten :D Go to the beginning in the gallery so you can see several kinds, and look at the grip. It will change your wrist angle. ;)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Metolius, I've seen the finished Fajen Silhouette going for $160 -$180, $105 for the unfinished. The only ones I've seen are either "pepper" or "coffee", like Maddon's and mine in the gallery area. The unfinished one I have is Rosewood. I'll take $100 +shipping for it. If you'd like a pic, drop me a message with your email and I'll send them to you. I'd rather not waste the space here with the pic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey Cajungeo, that is a lot of shooting and know as the day wore on I was dropping my right elbow, pinching the wrist. I was also shooting "barricade" style off the ranchers Polaris Ranger, something I haven't done before. Basically poor shooting form, but think a thumbhole style might help on the extended days. thanks for the comparison between the stocks.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'll get the pics to you tomorrow. There at home and I'm not.

Are you in Bend, OR?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Metolius, check your mail for the pics and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
guys, just a suguestion, if you use the pm (Private Message) button ( under a post). you can have private conversations where no one but the sender, and receiver can see. Not even me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts