Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, this may belong in the General forum, but it affects you and me now:

Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)

HR 2038 IH

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 2038
To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 8, 2003
Mrs. MCCARTHY of New York (for herself, Mr. SHAYS, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. SMITH of New Jersey, Mr. NADLER, Ms. LOFGREN, Ms. JACKSON-LEE of Texas, Ms. WATERS, Mr. MEEHAN, Mr. DELAHUNT, Mr. WEXLER, Mr. WEINER, Ms. LINDA T. SANCHEZ of California, Mr. EMANUEL, Mr. CASE, Mrs. MALONEY, Ms. CORRINE BROWN of Florida, Mr. KENNEDY of Rhode Island, Mr. RANGEL, Ms. WOOLSEY, Mr. ACKERMAN, Ms. SCHAKOWSKY, Mr. HONDA, Mr. STARK, Ms. SOLIS, Ms. LEE, Mr. VAN HOLLEN, Mr. WAXMAN, Mr. TOWNS, Ms. ROYBAL-ALLARD, Mr. GRIJALVA, Ms. CARSON of Indiana, Ms. NORTON, Mr. LIPINSKI, Mr. RUSH, Ms. WATSON, Mr. DAVIS of Illinois, Mr. LEWIS of Georgia, Mr. JACKSON of Illinois, Mr. GUTIERREZ, Mr. OWENS, Mr. BLUMENAUER, Mr. CUMMINGS, Ms. EDDIE BERNICE JOHNSON of Texas, Mr. FARR, Ms. LORETTA SANCHEZ of California, Mr. MORAN of Virginia, Mr. MARKEY, Mr. ANDREWS, Mr. HOLT, Mr. PAYNE, Mr. MCGOVERN, Mr. PASCRELL, Mr. FRANK of Massachusetts, Mrs. TAUSCHER, Ms. DELAURO, Mr. ENGEL, Mr. CAPUANO, Mr. HOEFFEL, Mrs. LOWEY, Mr. MENENDEZ, Ms. VELAZQUEZ, Mr. TIERNEY, Mr. BRADY of Pennsylvania, Mr. ROTHMAN, Mr. FATTAH, Ms. HARMAN, Mr. BISHOP of New York, and Mr. LANGEVIN) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003'.

SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.

(a) IN GENERAL- Section 921(a)(30) of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

`(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:

`(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;

`(ii) AR-10;

`(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;

`(iv) AR70;

`(v) Calico Liberty;

`(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;

`(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;

`(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;

`(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;

`(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;

`(xi) M1 Carbine;

`(xii) Saiga;

`(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;

`(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;

`(xv) SLG 95;

`(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;

`(xvii) Steyr AUG;

`(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;

`(xix) Tavor;

`(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or

`(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

`(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) Calico M-110;

`(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;

`(iii) Olympic Arms OA;

`(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or

`(v) Uzi.

`© The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) Armscor 30 BG;

`(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;

`(iii) Striker 12; or

`(iv) Streetsweeper.

`(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a pistol grip;

`(iv) a forward grip; or

`(v) a barrel shroud.

`(E)(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), a semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

`(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

`(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and has--

`(i) a second pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a barrel shroud; or

`(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.

`(G) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

`(H) A semiautomatic shotgun that has--

`(ii) a pistol grip;

`(iii) the ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

`(iv) a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.

`(I) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

`(J) A frame or receiver that is identical to, or based substantially on the frame or receiver of, a firearm described in any of subparagraphs (A) through (I) or (L).

`(K) A conversion kit.

`(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.
(B) RELATED DEFINITIONS- Section 921(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(36) BARREL SHROUD- The term `barrel shroud' means a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel of a firearm so that the shroud protects the user of the firearm from heat generated by the barrel, but does not include a slide that encloses the barrel, and does not include an extension of the stock along the bottom of the barrel which does not encircle or substantially encircle the barrel.

`(37) CONVERSION KIT- The term `conversion kit' means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

`(38) DETACHABLE MAGAZINE- The term `detachable magazine' means an ammunition feeding device that can readily be inserted into a firearm.

`(39) FIXED MAGAZINE- The term `fixed magazine' means an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm.

`(40) FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK- The term `folding or telescoping stock' means a stock that folds, telescopes, or otherwise operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability, of a firearm.

`(41) FORWARD GRIP- The term `forward grip' means a grip located forward of the trigger that functions as a pistol grip.

`(42) PISTOL GRIP- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.

`(43) THREADED BARREL- The term `threaded barrel' means a feature or characteristic that is designed in such a manner to allow for the attachment of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5845(a)).'.

SEC. 3. ELIMINATION OF SUNSET.

Section 110105 of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 is amended--

(1) by striking `--' and all that follows through `(1)'; and

(2) by striking `; and' and all that follows through `that date'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call your congress people and write them now!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
:mad: What about our right to keep and bear arms not being infringed? This is fricken ridiculous. Things like having a barrel shroud, i mean wtf? If it looks big and bad they want it banned. You really think a criminal who is going to shoot up a shopping mall or somthing is like "Oh, well i think having this flash supressor makes my AK illegal. I better take it off" This is just hurting us inocent gun owners, no criminal is going to make their gun legal to go commit a crime! :cannon: :usa:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Are there any lawyers out there? So I wonder if what we have now as postbans, will become forgiven prebans in Sept? I don't under stand Section 3 unless something was excluded.

Mikr, where did you get this from, I'd like to read more.

BTW, this concerns our mini's. This thread stays here! :mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go to www.awbansunset.com - they have lots of info and links to the actual text of the proposed legislation. You can also go to www.house.gov and look at it by typing in the number of the bill in question. I've been talking to lots of fellow gun owners trying to get them to write, call and email our reps. to make sure that the ban sunsets next year.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You know if I was sick enough to go on a shooting rampage I would not use anything in the above post. A 12 ga. shotgun with buckshot would do more damage. O hell now they are after my shotgun,bunch of dumb asses in congress.:eek:

·
Registered
569 Posts
how do we fight this? any links or organizations (other than the NRA which I joined and immediately realized they're more about profit generation than anything else - it seemed like I was paying for something every two months so I quit). Does this mean my mini-30 is still under the radar? God help me if they find out it shoots the AK round. Funny, the BAR is still ok and if I'm gonna pull a John Malvo I can still get an M1. Why don't they worry more about the border just down the road from me???? here's a little known fact unless you live down here - They have water stations in the desert now - this is no lie - about a half mile in, on our side of the line and every 1/4 mile or so apart all along the border -probably to Texas, is a big blue flag on a twenty foot high pole. at the base of this pole is a big plastic 55 ga container of H2O. so when the illegals come accross we serve up a nice icy glass - or ten thounsand- of sparkling agua, why not just put a Wendys out there too!!!. so take my gun but make sure you give an Evian to the fella who's gonna steal my car,rape my wife, use my healthcare for free and cause us all to pay way more in taxes - and that's just the normal ones - how about the mujahdeen with the suitcase nuke on his back who's about to pass out and die from dehydration? we just got him to the target. anyway I'm writing my rep. so should we all, this becoming a sad, sad comedy.

·
Registered
569 Posts
PS I notice the Armalite .50 cal is still off the list. hmmmm, if I only a a spare grand and a half lying around.........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Look guys....if you want to "fight" this ****, then do the obvious thing.....IGNORE the ************* and their illegal laws.

Y'all can read English right?
What part of "shall not be infringed" is open to "interpretation?
Hell, the reason the Bill of Rights is in English instead of say Latin, is so that MEN can plainly understand it.

If any ***** wants to enforce illegal laws on my property, I'll use the damned guns for their intended purpose. The second ammendment was EXPRESSLY enacted to fight ******* government desk jockies. It has NOTHING to do with punching holes in paper or hunting rabbits. It is about hunting corrupt men who would enslave you. Three holes in the head of someone trying to enforce UNCONSTITUTIONAL laws will surely stop them from trying to sepearte you from your GOD GIVEN rights again.

So you gotta ask yourself....
Do free men ASK government ****** what they are "allowed" to carry? Or is it more likely that such behavior is more probable with slaves?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey RED next time use the underscore periodically in you words when talking about the govt. a_s_oles,and the f'ing co_kli_kers!! That way you won't get censored so bad!! We try to keep it more civil than fullauto.com!!! Even if we still feel the same way!!

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Special Poop I didn't know about these big water jugs maybe someone should go down there and put a few holes in them. :rolleyes: In the meantime send our state reps a not so gentle rebuke. Meet them face to face and physically slap them in the face to help them realize how stupid they are being. Besides that you notice they forgot the cetme as well? I would hate to have that beautiful gun of mine dissapear. It may dissapear before someone else has the chance to take it from me.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ogre trust me I've been tempted. I guess I'm just a product of todays society - some kind of pseudo-moral self concious. but then again it'd probably be illegal anyway. I need to think more like Red. I guess pumping a few rounds through is better than a gallon of anti-freeze. They are damn depressing to see out there though.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Sorry, orgr, the cetme is covered by this part

`(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a pistol grip;

`(iv) a forward grip; or

`(v) a barrel shroud.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey guys I think we can get the awb to sunset vote and write your congressmen. I think if we don't get it to sunset then it's going to get worse I read somewhere that it simply cannot be renewed (kept the same) that it must be amended somehow I think that very bad because you know it will not get any lighter. We must defeat this. Did you notice the semiauto shotguns they don't want to take our sporting arms right. Shayne

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by Carnifex@Jun 12 2003, 04:48 PM
This is fricken ridiculous. Things like having a barrel shroud, i mean wtf?
Probably because barrel shrouds are used on weapons expecting to fire a lot of rounds in a short amount of time. You wouldn't fire enough rounds into Bambi from your Rem700 to require a barrel shroud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The whole thing is ridiculous.

The bans are based on nonsense. The weapons on these lists make up a very tiny portion of the weapons used in crimes.

How often have you heard of someone robbing a 7-11 with an AK 47?

They are defining assault weapons based on characteristics that have nothing to do with crime or even lethality of the weapon. They do this because the uninformed non-gun-owning public has an image of what an assault weapon is based on the descriptions that the anti-gun folks provide.

The only true way to fight this is to spread the word and send letters and get the gun-owning population to vote. We have to start with legislation like this, but then we have to go a step further and remove the idiots from office that come up with this stuff. :blink:

Hell, I'm from California where this crap is often initiated. We have the strictest gun control regulations anywhere in the U.S. (except maybe D.C.). If we don't come together now, enmasse, to stop this, it will get worse.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've made up my mind that I REFUSE to let this happen to MY country!

Seriously guys, we CAN beat this thing if enough of us write and call our reps and give them an earfull. Don't just give up and sit around moaning about it. Our democratic system does work, for those who choose to use it.
Think of it, if enough of us contact our reps and this thing gets squashed, all these rediculous federal "assault weapon" laws will go away!... that'd sure be a breath of clean air! ...I certainly think it's worth calling/writing all my reps about!
Our government reps generally figure that 1 person who calls/writes them about an issue represents 100 others who feel that way.

This is the only way we will win.

All of you who fantasize about armed resistance "when they come to get your guns" are living in a fantasy world. There will be no massive government roundup of private arms.. nothing big enough to evoke a large public backlash. Only one more restriction or tax at a time slowly chipping away. If we don't make our voices heard, the media will continue to alienate the gun culture and convince much of the public that they are safer with guns out of public hands. Then, 50 years from now, we will be no different than the rest of the world.

:usa:

·
Registered
535 Posts
The AWB extension is going to go away only if your elected representative knows he is going to lose his seat (and license to print money) if he votes for the extension. And the NRA isn't going to defeat this legislation as the NRA isn't really about representing gun owners but about maintaining the status quo for Peppe LaPierre so he can rub elbows with his buddies.

Write your congressman and get ten of your friends to write your congressman. Make sure your congressman knows the consequences - if he votes for the ban you will work to defeat him in the next election - and then DO IT including making contributions. That is what the American system of government has become - pay-to-play. And make sure he knows you are keeping your word!

When you write your congressman don't curse him, threaten to shoot him, or do or say anything that is going to reinforce the opinion that firearms owners are all mouth breathing inbreds who are their own grandpas. Simply state your position and the consequences.

Use email and wait for a reply - I got mine by mail about 10 days after I wrote. I think Tiberi is against the ban extension but his letter is a little vague so I am going to send another email for clarification. I intend to write to Senators DeWine and Voinovich to make them aware of the consequences but I am wasting my time because these two republican senators are as rabidly antigun as Feinstein. And Bush has already said he will sign the bill so write him too - and don't forget your ten friends - remember politics like war is all about leverage and force multipliers.

This is the NRA legislative contact page - Legislator Contact Page - use it to save yourself some work but compose your own email don't use the canned messages as the legislative aides recognize them for what they are. Use them as a guide but rewrite them in your own words.

This can be defeated but only if we are willing to do the work.

·
Registered
398 Posts
That is straight from the Califonia bill SB-23 which ended up being the
Ca assault weapons ban. We can still keep the mini for the time being.
Foulstein is the main player in this. Write your Reps. Call em etc. It
won't be long until this come up..It's the end of July already well close
to it. Can never rest fighting cr*p like this.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts