Perfect Union banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Find it a little ironic the above seems to be the case considering people used to argue US calibers would be easier to find. Encountered more of 7.62 in the LGS than 5.56/.223.

Work wise, its .223 but the base expense of Federal TRU 55gr BTHPs is a little rich for me to practice much with out of pocket.

I can get a ****-ton more practice with x39 and if everything goes SHTF/WROL caliber choice will be a bit low on my priorities list.

MIght change in a couple of months but that's what I'm seeing on LI

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
That may be the case currently, but if Barack HUSSIEN Obama stops importation of ammo, 7.62x39 rnds will be at least 80 cents each for US made. The ammo makers will eventually catch up with demand on .223/5.56 and the price will come back down. Also, reloading is much easier for .223/5.56.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been slowly buying up Golden Bear for the past six months I've now got about 5,000 rounds of 7.62x39. Enough to weather this storm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That may be the case currently, but if Barack HUSSIEN Obama stops importation of ammo, 7.62x39 rnds will be at least 80 cents each for US made. The ammo makers will eventually catch up with demand on .223/5.56 and the price will come back down. Also, reloading is much easier for .223/5.56.
curious as to why you you say that . I've reloaded for 7.62 X 39 in the past and had several choices of bullets, brass and powders , but then again I never loaded for .223 .

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yes i am also wondering why reloading is easier for .223? vs 7.62 x39? I see no diference between reloading the 2. Exact same process. As said above plenty of diferent powders and bullet types avaliable. Brass is easy to get. not as plentiful as .223 but still not hard to find.
I cant see 7.62x39 being any higher price wise than .223 there is high demand for both calibers and pretty much the same cost to produce.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this you Tommygunner?

Zombie Squad • View topic - [EDIT TITLE] MINI-14 FLAME WAR.

Zombie Squad • Login

Apart from a paucity of .310-.311 bullets in the ideal weight range of 115-155 grain bullets, there is enough to allow quite a following for the 7.62x39 cartridge from a reloading standpoint. Uses mostly the same powders as .223, maybe slightly more by weight to acheive standard velocities.

Prior to the Russian invasion of ammo, PMC and Hansen/IMI provided reloadable/cheap brass for the populace to run loads for the SKS rifles that largely drove the 7.62x39 ammo market.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
curious as to why you you say that . I've reloaded for 7.62 X 39 in the past and had several choices of bullets, brass and powders , but then again I never loaded for .223 .
To my knowledge there are no current manufacturers of the right diameter bullet (.311") in the weight range and shape that is correct for the 7.62x39 cartridge. The Hornady in .310" is close, but accuracy is reported to be much worse than the .311" bullet they used to produce. There is a boatload of correct diameter bullets for .223/5.56 including mil-spec and match grade.

Sure, there are available components that work for 7.62x39, but IMHO not the quality that matches foriegn (or domestic) manufactured cartridges.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
I've loaded the Hornady .310 dia for some years to shoot in my M30 w/no issues, groups are on par with any of the Russki ammo however both Sako, Lapua ( now very difficult or unfindable) and the now hard-to-find Yugo surplus grouped a bit tighter. Winny and Remmy both make (or did - I have a small stock of both) 123gr .310 slugs that I've had good results with - the Winny sp a bit better and as good or better than any Russki x39 ammo. however I do not consider the lightly constructed Rem and Winny sp as adequate for larger whitetail or feral/wild hog unless shots under 75yds. dead is dead of course but I had a bullet jacket/core seperation with the Winny on a large doe (went about 150yds before it dropped and the shot was dead center frontal but missed both vertebrae and heart - about 75 yds) and the Remmy shed the jacket on a 300lb feral sow squarely hit in the base of neck/shoulder but again missed any of the bone structure so I had a track down of about 1/4 mile. a nephew was in the ground blind w/me but the hog spun and ran so fast he could not get off a shot w/his 20ga mag w/a slug.
thus my reasoning concerning the loading of a heavier bullet for hunting use.
I've also had good results with the Speer 150gr sp .308 which is now my load of choice for deer/hog hunting. I tryed the very good in other rifles .308 Noslers and for some reason had dissapointing results, way too much drop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts