Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Got some 1911 Wilson buffers for the Mini 14. Really can't tell from the pics posted here. Do the "ears" or tabs make a difference as to how they should be installed? Ears towards the top of the barrel or down towards the bottom of the receiver?

Thanks guys..............

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ears toward the barrel also and I put one on each end again after going with one just on the receiver end and really like how much better the rifle behaves. seems much easier to stay on target. less muzzle rise and less clank! YMMV 581 series SS RR

·
Registered
397 Posts
Did not trim it and it does not melt. Try it you'll like it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glenwatkins,

Are you running a reduced gas bushing with the 2 buffers? If so , what size?

Whats the smallest bushing size you guys would be confident that your gun is still reliable, while running buffers fore and aft?

·
Registered
397 Posts
jaguar stock bushing and brass is about 12' away unless I am shooting Tula!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have always has one on each end since brand new and facing twards the barrel and it throws the cases about 6 feet away. I typically shoot about 100-200 round per outing. I noticed that after each outing the fromt one needs to be replaced always because its taken a real beating and the ring is broken while the rear one is the original one I installed and its in good shape. If you have one up front, how long does it last?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ears on the barrel. I tried one at the front but stopped this practice since they don't last long at all. 100 rounds and they're shot, plus they're very difficult to install over the gas tube. I may try a leather buffer up front and see how well that lasts.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I just put a front buffer on mine and am now concerned about its longevity. Nobody on this site ever mentioned that they had such a short service life. Not a big deal, if it bails out too soon I''ll just remove it. But really, 100rounds? Really?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have replace a bunch up front, each time I take my Mini out and come home and clean it, the front buffer is broken and sometimes has a piece missing, my rear buffer is the same from day 1, the front one takes the blast from the recoil gasses and I had one look like it was melting after a rapid fire of a couple of 20 round mags.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Never had an issue with melting/breaking down front buffers. But, then again, I don't do mag dumps either...

Personally, I prefer to have the "ears" up toward the barrel. Makes no real difference, but that just "looks right" to me.

For the record, I now have somewhere north of 1,200 rounds through my Mini with the SAME buffers front and rear. Sure, the front buffer looks like hell. But it's not deformed/melted/broken. It's black from powder residue, but that's all -- it's still doing its job just fine.

If you like rapid-fire, you'll never get a front buffer to last 1,200 rounds. Seriously. However, taking the time to concentrate on shot placement keeps the buffer from melting. :lol:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I shoot a lot, some rapid fire but no mag-dumps. If I don't like the front buffer lifesapn I'll just do without.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts