Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I do alot of shooting & thinking what to do with ear protection.

Problems I have with normal ear muffs:

1 When I put the muffs on, I can not hear anyone talking.

2 When I take my muffs off, to hear the person that's talking, I find someone at the club starts shooting, my ears start ringing away.

What should I do?

Has anyone used electronic ear muffs?

http://www.probuy.net/dir/46.html

Has anyone used PELTOR® - Tactical ComTac or TAC 7

Need your help

:ar15:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have been using the Howard Leight ProEars since they were introduced. They are real effective and I like them a lot. They will amplify you normal ambient sound yet electronically compress the sharp report of a gunshot to a non-harmful level. Electronic compression/decompression allows you to carry on normal conversation with out clipping the sound like a speaker breaking up. The sound level is adjustable for each ear and I find them comfortable.

Now, what I don't like. They are bulky. Same size as the Leightning 31 or Thunder 29. Gets in the way with some of the long guns. Takes two expensive N size batteries per ear (but they last a long long time). They are expensive (retail 249).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Guys

Question: punchie

I have been looking into pro ears today.

Is this the ear muffs that you own

http://www.pro-ears.com/seriesmodel.html#top

If I buy the pro mag, that's rated NRR 26 do you think that I would have some problems with the size,?.

Maybe I could not use them when shooting out doors, with rifles like AK 47 or AR-15, would there be a problem looking into the scope with the big muffs?

Can we not use rechargeable batterys?

The problems that I have, is that I need to use them indoors at the range & out doors with the rifles, yes I may have some hearing loss already, that's why I want to spend some money, to not loss any more hearing.

I can not offord to buy two ear muffs, for different situations. Need only buy one.

thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
gunrunner try http://www.howardleight.com/SportGoods/leight_pe.html
These are the ones that I have. I don't know if rechargeable batteries in the N size are available. If theey are, tere is no reason why they could not be used. Best bet on size would be going to a well stocked shop and try them on while shouldering a scoped gun. You have a definite maybe there.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I would definantly go with some type of electronic hearing protection. Your ears can become seriously damaged just from one shot. I would try out several,but the tac 7 wrs work great for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The NRR is not really to applicable to the electronics because of the ability to only cancel the harmful noise. The other rating systems I am not acquainted with as I am not an audiophile.

The ProEars that I use seem to have the same NRR as the Leightning 31s when the unit is in the off position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts