Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do my 1911 Springer (steel frame).

I think I will go with the Duracoat product but was wondering about the left over paint.

It says that 4 oz will do 2 - 3 guns or 1-2 rifles. After I add the reducer to the paint can I store it and use it latter?

I have a small air brush that I can do the painting with. I was thinking of soaking the parts in Acytone to degrees the parts.

Would I be better off removing the blueing before painting?

Larry

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the post.

Now I have another question about storing used Duracoat. One color I was thinking about comes with a hardener.

Can that one be stored for use latter??

Larry

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Having stored various paints and mixing agents before I would say that the hardener will set up after a long period of time like several months. It will preserve better if you keep it in a temperature and humidity controlled low light condition even though the bottles may be sealed. Once mixed you have a shelf life of hours.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have not used duracoat but i have done a lot of auto and truck painting. I have used Imron quite a bit, its a paint that a activator/hardener is is mixed into the paint. Once mixed its use it or loose it. Same with any epoxy type paints. Paint that is mixed with reducer will generally have a much shorter shelf life then paint that is not mixed even when stored in an airtight container. Its best to only mix up what your going to use at the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Duracoat and they told me that once the hardener is mixed in the pot life is about 6 -8 hrs.

They said that there is instructions on the ratio of paint to hardener so I could mix up say 1 oz at a time for the smaller jobs.

Now to just figure out what color...

Thanks for the posts.

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.