Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. i'm a newbie when it comes to ar-15. all i know is that i really really want one so bad. of course in CA, i can't get jack. has anyone made a receiver before? i know they sell blank ones. i was wondering how easy and reliable it is to make one and eventually making the whole rifle. i have a mini 30 and don't really like it. i'd rahter have an ar.15:(

·
Registered
540 Posts
If "make" means just buying a bare lower reciever (you (well not you) can get them for like $250) and building up from there, I hate to dissapoint you, but in The People's Replik of Kalifornia, that's the only piece that counts. You can buy any other part. Heck, I think you can buy a whole, complete upper mail order and they will ship it to your door. But the lower reciever? No way. Why? That's the part that has the serial #and that's what matters.
:( :trooper: :mad: :beer: :beer: :beer: :D

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
And then, when you build it up, you are in violation of state law.

This is a public forum, with over 1300 members, including law enforcement officers. I'd recommend that you don't publicly state that you intend to break California state laws by doing this project.

All AR-15 style rifles are banned in CA, no matter what type of stock or lack of pistol grip, or manufacture.

Be careful.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Someone makes a kalifornia legal single shot lower, thats the only way you can go. might as well buy a cooper then!
RR
:cannon: :rapid:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Kid,you can make your own.You will need a 3 axis vertical machining center,various fixtures,& a hell of alot of experience.You can buy the blanks from Les Baer with the mag well already cut.This is the largest and most time consuming cut.They are about $80.00.Last time I checked ATF(if you care) law you could build you a PERSONAL firearm,not avialable for sale.But ATF rules and laws change like the weather and they never inform the public.:sniper:

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Yes, Federal rules allow you to make your own.

In CA, once you make your own AR-15 receiver, you have broken the law.

Our crappy laws don't name companies by name, except for a short list developed during the first round of banning in 1989. The Assault Weapons laws are by feature, with notable new exceptions for AR-15's, among others. All semi-auto AR-15 rifles, regardless of features (pistol grip, etc.) are banned from current and future sales, import, and possession unless previously registered.

:mad:

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Feels like the Soviet Union, sometimes. Does that count?

;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think i would feel to embarassed to take one of these to the range. i would have to open it up and load 10 bullets at a time. while others have 20 round mags. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
A good friend of mind has an AR with the FAB-10 lower and it works great. In 8 days I get to pick up my lower and start building up my first AR. But I do recommend the Extended Takedown Pin from http://www.watsonsweapons.com/products/50boss.htm makes reloading the FAB-10 much easer and faster.
The only down side (other then doesn't hold magazines) is the bolt does stay open after the last round is fired.

If you live in the bay area you call Kerly's at 408-255-1920. I got their last one, not sure when they will getting more in, but give them a call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the fab-10 price is already going up. m&n armory wants 350 empty but will sell a complete rifle for 899( f.n.) can you say GOUGE!

·
Registered
4 Posts
pick mine up from markleys in watsonville on wednesday complete for 285.00:D. My bushmaster upper should be here thursday:D .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts