1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Shiney barrel good:)
Dull barrel bad :(
Shiney = clean
dull = dirty, rust or worse:eek:
This may be way too obvious a question, but have you given it a REALLY good cleaning?
And lastly, the proof is in the pudding - how does it shoot.
That's all that really matter :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The condition you are indicating is known as a "dark bore" and does not mean the gun will not shoot well. This condition is caused by corrosive ammo and may be caused by poor care. I have seen guns with dark bores that had vary good rifling and would shoot 1 inch shot groups at 100 yards. I would clean the bore to the best of your ability which means you will need to scrub the hell out of it with a good bore solvent and a bore brush. As long as this rifle has good rifling in it it should shoot and function just fine. You may want to do a good cleaning job in the chamber as well to avoid a broken case during the extraction cycle. If you have any other questions feel free to Email me ([email protected]). I have done a bunch of work on these old war horses and own one my self. I Just went from full time Gunsmithing to Part time. I have done custom work on these rifles and rechambered them in such calibers as .308, 7x57 Mauser, .243 winchester, 6.5x55 Sweede, and 25-06. The Garand has to be my favorite battle rifle of all time. My personal rifle is chambered in .308 Winchester. I plan on starting the National match work on it next month. If you need help with your gun just ask and I will try to get you off in the right direction. You may be supprised by how much of this work you can do yourself. Good luck and take care,
Patrick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts