Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few months I have been looking at buying another AR. After doing a good bit of research I have narrowed down my choices to Spikes and a DS Arms.

Spikes - makes a great rifle, is mil-spec, people love it.

DS Arms - known more for its FN/FAL then its AR-15s.

The thing is, I have a DS Arms FN/FAL. The fit and finish is great, the rifle shoots fantastic, nice groups at 100 yards,,,.

Both the DS Arms and Spikes have a lifetime warranty.

Due to my experience with DS Arms, I would like to continue to give them my business. The thing is, the DS AR-15 does not get as much love from the AR community as a Spikes.

Looking at some of the specs of the DSA AR-15, it may not be fully mil-spec. But then again, does someone need a "fully" mil-spec rifle? The last time I looked, my backyard was not a battlefield.

The rifle is mostly going to be used for target shooting, home and personal protection. I live on the gulf coast in a Hurricane prone area. When a hurricane passes though, I would like to have a rifle I can rely on to protect my home and family. During Hurricane Ike and Rita there were no problems around here. But I like to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Buying the DS Arms AR-15 could save me around $200. If I buy a Spikes, could I expect $200 in higher quality over the DSA?

If you are happy with a product, why change. But on the other hand, my experience with DS Arms is with their FN and not their AR-15.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Looking at some of the specs of the DSA AR-15, it may not be fully mil-spec. But then again, does someone need a "fully" mil-spec rifle?
A very good point. Some of the things that make it mil-spec are of no use to you at all such as; M16 bolt carrier, a little heavier than the AR bolt carrier because it is designed for higher rate of fire/higher round count. Chrome lined bolt carrier, nice but not necessary. Mil-spec lower receiver extension tube, only necessary if you wish to use military surplus stock (not likely). There are some cases where "mil-spec" is an advantageous but, for the most part it is just AR snobbery.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I grew up on the coast myself.It was a swampy part of the coast.
There are a few things to consider that I'm sure you already
know.
A swampy environment is close to a jungle type environment.All
coastal areas have humid salt air that can damage a firearm.
Not to mention with a hurricane you will have flooding,debris
and among other things.
With that said I would want some specific features in a AR-15
style platform for a coastal environment.
I have no experience with DSARMS and Spikes but I've heard a
lot of good things about both.I would just make sure to get
the right specifications for your needs.At least a chrome lined
chamber and bore.
Again I'm sure you know all this but I'm just trying to help.

Best of luck,
TEX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kev,

As I said on the other forum Spikes makes a great product. I built mine and saved about 200.00 dollars. I built it using a ST stripped lower and a ST complete Mid-Length upper. So far the gun has run flawless. I have not had a single FTF or FTE. The fit and finish of Spikes products is top notch.

When I received the complete upper in the mail there were QC inspector tags all over the place with the date and the inspectors name. There was also brass on the ejection port indicating it had been test fired several times. It sure gave me the warm fuzzy...

I can't attest to the quality of Daniel Defense or DS Arms. I have heard great things about Daniel Defense though. I haven't really heard anything at all on DS Arms AR's.

Something you may want to consider living in the Hurricane prone areas is humidity. Which ever route you decide to go I would make sure to get a crome lined barrel and chamber (comes standard on all ST rifles). You might not need a rifle that is "mil-spec" but if it's priced right I say why not? I don't consider it "AR snobery" to have a rifle that is built to the same specs as our military. I call it "making an informed decision" and buying the best possible product I can afford. Don't we do that with everything else?

People love Spikes Tactical rifles because they live up to their claims.

*edit* Here is a link to the range report on my ST-15 Mid Length from this weekend. http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=211974

1 - 5 of 5 Posts