Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to dry fire a Mini 14? Also, after you have emptied your rifle, do you just drop the hammer by pulling the trigger, or is there another way to lower the hammer? Thanks.

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Is it OK to dry fire a Mini 14? Also, after you have emptied your rifle, do you just drop the hammer by pulling the trigger, or is there another way to lower the hammer? Thanks.
Yes, but I wouldn't do it excessively.

Why would you want to drop the hammer? Just curious, but yes, you have to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If I'm going to store or not shoot it for a long time I pull the op rod back most of the way and pull the trigger. The hammer only falls 1/4-1/2" where it hits the retracted bolt. I did this a lot while smoothing & checking the trigger pull.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get a pack of A-Zoom .223 snap caps, available at your local gun shop, Brownells, Midway USA, Cheeper than Dirt, etc. Then you can dry fire all you want.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I am not aware of a method to drop the hammer without pulling the trigger. I have dry fired all types weapons for over 40 years and I have never had an issue from doing so.

·
Registered
666 Posts
40nascar,
After the hammer falls I let the op-rod slide forward with the hammer down on the bolt so the springs are at rest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.