Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just converted my ranch to a tactical.

Looking to dress up the muzzle with a flash suppressor. I'm trying to find one that is short, lightweight, and doesn't require modification to the barrel such as drilling new holes. Does such a thing exist?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Does that mean you cut down your barrel? I just ordered an 11(79) degree crowning tool from Midway. I would suggest that you do that. All the slip on brakes that I have seen require a pilot hole drilled for the roll pin.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does that mean you cut down your barrel? I just ordered an 11(79) degree crowning tool from Midway. I would suggest that you do that. All the slip on brakes that I have seen require a pilot hole drilled for the roll pin.
As long as your front sight is attached with the factory standard roll pin the Mo-Reaper does not require any drilling. It uses the roll pin and two set screws. I believe there are other brakes that use the same arrangement.

The Mo-Reaper also comes with a hooded ball type front sight on a thin post that I think is a big improvement over the factory winged sight. The sight is an integral part of the Mo-Reaper and can't be replaced though, so if you're not comfortable with switching to this type of sight that would be a concern.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Wouldn't converting a ranch rifle to a tactical include shortening the barrel and threading for a screw on brake unless he chose a slip on brake? I just pulled my front sight and I haven't mic'd it but it appears that the diameter where the front sight seats on the barrel is different from the rest of the barrel.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Ah ok. If you want to keep your existing front sight I found this slip on brake to be one of the most decent looking, decent made ones I have seen. He can custom fit the brake to your front sight for a tight fit. If you want a new front sight the mo reaper is the way to go. They also are in the process of making a no sight reaper but it is only available for the 14 so far.

Home - AMK Tactical

This is one of the options I am considering. I am still going to put an 11 degree crown on my barrel regardless of whether I cut it or not.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think the MoReaper is a great addition.

Looks good, first rate quality, and I can tell a marked difference in reducing muzzle flip. Follow-up piggie shots are no problem; it's easy to keep the group in my sight picture as I'm whacking at them. Plus, I'm using the 7.62x39 and not that other weenie round.

Wil

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
So I just converted my ranch to a tactical.

Looking to dress up the muzzle with a flash suppressor. I'm trying to find one that is short, lightweight, and doesn't require modification to the barrel such as drilling new holes. Does such a thing exist?
Did the stainless come in the wood stock? I didn't think w/ the new SS Minis, that wood was an option. It looks great.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is a 580 series so it's a few years old, but that was the way it came.
Thanks.
They must have discontinued that option when the 581 series was released, because they no longer show it on the Ruger website. The tactical stock is cool, but for me, there's just something about a wooden stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.