Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DRC Custom claims that the last 2" of the barrel on a Mini-14 causes most of the accuracy problems. Has anyone sent their gun to them to have the barrel cut back? How did it work?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hi Dave, no I haven't cut my barrel, but if you haven't already read Z-mans sticky post, he cut off 1/4" at a time, and recrowned, test fireing after each 1/4", to find the sweet spot in the barrel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am going to send them a mini in Feb. of next year. I know it is still a while away, but if nobody does it before then I will post pics and give a review.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I too was worried- but I read up on DRC and sent my Mini off to him. My gun is more accurate now then when I sent it off to DRC and he cut the barrel back! Look at my thread(Just got her back) I posted pictures and evrything else!:sniper:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I haven't sent the gun in yet but am planning on doing so. Per telephone conversation with DRC, if you have a pre-ban MIN-14 legally grandfathered as a dreaded "assault rifle", you can have the option of going with the flash suppressor instead of the muzzle brake. This I am planning on doing. I have a pre-ban stainless with a Butler Creek folding stock and am seeking to shorten the barrel to minimum length.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dave do you have a range report for us yet ? I have been considering having similar work done on my ranch rifle.:usa: How do you like the new front sight ?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just put 400+ rounds thru her today at ranges up to 150 yards without a problem. It is more accurate now then before! I 'm having a hard time posting Pics- so just look at my old thread- or maybe a moderator could post them on this thread for me. DRC is a great guy, you wont be disapointed.:sniper:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Dogman, I moved your pictures into the gallery, you now have your own thread, in the gallery for us to view.

Valleypine, welcome to the forum. You may want to view Dogmans shortend mini in the gallery. He also installed a blast cone to keep the blast away from his face. It looks cool :cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Originally posted by cajungeo
Dogman, I moved your pictures into the gallery, you now have your own thread, in the gallery for us to view.

Valleypine, welcome to the forum. You may want to view Dogmans shortend mini in the gallery. He also installed a blast cone to keep the blast away from his face. It looks cool :cool:
Cajungeo,

Thanks. I've been a MINI-14 owner for over ten years. I've viewed all the pictures in the gallery. In fact, it was the DRC thread that prompted a call to DRC. I won't need the blast cone because I'm going with the flash suppressor instead of the muzzle brake. In fact, its not so much accuracy that I'm looking for but rather a shortened barrel to minimum legal length. Per my telephone conversation with DRC, the 2" cut-back is a misprint and it's more like a 3" cut-back to obtain the desired accuracy. If it was only 2", you wouldn't need the muzzle brake or flash suppressor because you would still have a legal barrel length, i.e.,18-1/2" minus 2" = 16-1/2". I may have a further conversation with Dave and see what his thoughts are in regards to cutting the barrel back to 16-1/4" and using the factory sight instead of cutting the barrel back further and installing the muzzle brake or flash suppressor. The trade-off in this case would be greater muzzle energy at the expense of flash suppression and some degree of accuracy. I don't know what the difference in accuracy is between 2" and 3" cut-off on the barrel.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I won't need the blast cone because I'm going with the flash suppressor
One thing you might consider, a flash surpressor won't do much for ya in the daytime, and it will throw blast up in front of your face, while ya have Dave on the phone, you might want to ask about that, as he is the expert

·
Registered
110 Posts
Originally posted by cajungeo
One thing you might consider, a flash surpressor won't do much for ya in the daytime, and it will throw blast up in front of your face, while ya have Dave on the phone, you might want to ask about that, as he is the expert
Cajungeo,

Thanks for the input. I'm attempting to configure this rifle for the secondary purpose of a home defense gun and am taking advantage of the fact that the rifle is a pre-ban. The purpose for the flash suppressor is to prevent operator blindness from the flash in darkness. I can't imagine the muzzle blast being much worse than that I'm already getting from my 16" barrel Colt. In reality, I may prefer to have the barrel cut down and retain the original factory sight but am unable to solicit any posts from anyone who has actually done this.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Oh I see If I had a preban I'd probably put a flash sup on it too. Course down hea the good ole boys don't bother us much about what we put on our guns, as long as we act decent, and respectful. BTW I was under the impression the flash hider was so the enemy couldn't as readly pin point ya?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Cajungo....
Since the Mini is an American rifle sans pistol grip and bayo lug, it can have a flash suppressor whether it is pre or post ban. That is one of the great selling points on the Mini-14 and M1A (M-14 clone). Neither is prohibited from having flash suppressors according to federal law even if they are post ban.

Go to
http://www.gunaccessories.com/Mini1430/index.asp

and have a gander.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts