Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm in Commiefornia 10 day jail.... Just the basic one for a new Home Defense Carbine. This is actually my second one, as I had one briefly before about two and a half years ago. At the time, I ended up selling it for another project. This one I bought with my store credit (I work for store credit only, two days a week). So it should stick for awhile.

I still have six of the 17 round Ruger SR-9 magazines I bought for my first one in 2019 "Freedom Week" which played a part in my decision to buy another. I also have a Glock 19 with lots of pre-ban mags, so I am good either way.

It will go nicely with my Mini-14, MIni-30, 10-22, and Ruger MK I pistol....

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lucky Gunner labs tested some 9mm loads in the Ruger PC, and the best by 100 fps was the Speer Gold Dot 124+P load at 1425 fps (556 ft lbs ME). Next closest was Federal 124 +P HST at 1322 FPS and 481 ft lbs ME. Gold dot gave .96" expansion! HST gave .74"

I have about 200 rounds of the Speer 124 +P Gold Dot that I carry in my Glock 19, which loves it.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
don't own one of the Ruger but congrats on buying a 9mm Para carbine as I own the no longer made Marlin which likes the Speer loads and also the +P handloads I roll loading the Remington Golden Saber 124 gr JHP slugs over power pistol powder. come out the muzzle with a 'crack' so apparent zipping out there. a choice to make of it or the also much liked Winchester pump tactical for boogey-men.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have a vintage Smith and Wesson 916 scattergun with an 18" barrel. We used them on the PD in Washington in the 80s. Smith dropped the line when Remington sued them for 870 patent infringement. It has a couple features the 870s don't like the ability to clear double feeds, kicking it out the bottom. I load it with #4 buck. (36) .25 caliber pellets! It makes a sh*t storm of a group at 15 yards!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I loved my little 9mm carbine (Chiappa M-1) when it worked...which was almost never. I could never get through an entire mag without it jamming on feeding. I tried 10 or more mags, different ammo, polished moving parts to no avail. The best I could gather, it had been designed with too much angle for the bullet to travel from mag to chamber. It was sent down the road with a warning of its failures.
Your new ruger should be a lot of fun and I haven't heard anything bad about them so far. Enjoy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got the plain one also. I did a few upgrades with MCarbo parts. Extractor, charging handle , and recoil pad. Easy and cheap enough. I shot 60 rounds through it zeroing the irons. Flawless. I also am just using the Ruger sr9 mag set up. I caught a place that had them on sale and with a 15% off code I got them for $16 a piece .That’s a steel mag .It’s a Ruger factory mag manufactured by Mec Gar In Italy. Good stuff. I like this little rifle. Congrats, WarDawg

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
When I lived in the country, on acreage, I used my Mini-14 as my home defense carbine. I was a great coyote whacker, also! When I moved back into my in-town house (actually country with 1/2" to 5 acre lots). I felt the Mini a bit too much, considering the proximity of neighbors. My vintage S&W 916 police shot gun (5 shot, 3" mag, 41 pellet #4 buckshot) with an 18" barrel is better, but indiscriminate. I think the PC Carbine will fill the bill.

I am a fan of pistol caliber carbines (I have a dandy 44-40 Marlin 1894). In the. 80s, I worked on a department where we carried S&W Model 59s. Being one of the rangemasters, I evaluate the Marlin 9mm Camp Carbine for a patrol carbine. It performed well, but failed on ease of maintenance, and cracked buffers IIRC. As I still have almost a dozen model 59 mags, I would not mind finding one.

I looked at the Chiappa M1 Carbine in 9mm, but have heard horror stories about it being unreliable. I really liked the Ruger PC Carbine I had a few years ago, but did not hang onto it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the pc9 on my list of guns that I want. I like the looks of the railed foreend one.

Reactions: crowtalks

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was seriously considering getting the Ruger PC Carbine 9mm Chassis Model (Free-Float Handguard) but it's heavier than my modded Mini-14 and about the same length. Plus I'm a .45 ACP guy (no 9 mm pistols). Might pick up a Ruger 57 instead.
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Sounds like a good add to your arsenal thought (y)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was seriously considering getting the Ruger PC Carbine 9mm Chassis Model (Free-Float Handguard) but it's heavier than my modded Mini-14 and about the same length. Plus I'm a .45 ACP guy (no 9 mm pistols). Might pick up a Ruger 57 instead.
View attachment 65507

Sounds like a good add to your arsenal thought (y)
That's the one I want but didn't realize that it was that heavy 😕.

Reactions: crowtalks

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Researching rounds and found that besides the Speer Gold Dot 124 +P giving 556 ft lbs ME from a carbine, my other favorite load, the 115 +P+ Federal 9BPLE (which I have a lot of) gives a whopping 666.5 ft lbs! I use 9BPLE in my 6906 3rd Gen S&W (12+1) that I use for EDC. That is serious thumping!

Check post #6

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/sh...rifle.1662992/

Also, picked up a set of dies and 1,000 115 grain slugs to start loading practice ammo. I have powder and 400+ small pistol primers still, so that's a start. I have a couple thousand 9mm FMJs, but will start burning a lot more ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just put a Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm in Commiefornia 10 day jail.... Just the basic one for a new Home Defense Carbine. This is actually my second one, as I had one briefly before about two and a half years ago. At the time, I ended up selling it for another project. This one I bought with my store credit (I work for store credit only, two days a week). So it should stick for awhile.

I still have six of the 17 round Ruger SR-9 magazines I bought for my first one in 2019 "Freedom Week" which played a part in my decision to buy another. I also have a Glock 19 with lots of pre-ban mags, so I am good either way.

It will go nicely with my Mini-14, MIni-30, 10-22, and Ruger MK I pistol....
congrats on the new PC Carbine...

condolences for living where you do...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts