Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am U.S Army; I've shot the M16A1/A2/A3 and M4 Carbine for the last two decades and know a bit about them but not the civilian versions.

My cousin is looking at the following DPMS models and wants to know the scoop on em:

DPMS 16" A1 Lite16 Rifle for $705.00

DPMS 16" A2 PICAR Rifle for $755.00

DPMS 16" A3 Lightweight Rifle $725.00 (without carry handle)

DPMS 16" A3 Sport Tactical Rifle for $629.00

DPMS 16" A2 Carbine with 6 Position Stock for $805.00

From the pics they all have a collapseble stock but I am just not sure about the barrel twists and other specs that might differ.

Anyone know the deal with em?
Any info or insight on em would greatly be appreciated...he is looking for one for under $900 and these seem to fit his bill from 1st glance, just not sure of them since I have never fired one.
Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I will tell you this as a dealer...

Those are pre-election MSRP prices and I seriously doubt you'll find one for those prices.

As a dealer I would be happy to buy at those prices today to resale at my shop.

Rather than taking an hour spelling out the differences in each model you can look at the mfg's website and fine what you seek.

TD

·
Registered
224 Posts
Happy DPMS owner here! About a week or so before the election, I picked up a DPMS Classic 16 at my local Gander Mountain for about $850. After putting 700 or so (give or take a little) rounds through it so far, I am more than pleased.

I have noticed a fair amount of DPMS bashing on some other boards, though running some searches in Google, the general consensus would seem to be that these are good guns. The fit and finish is superb, and I haven't had any trouble with mine, that's for sure! Granted, I have not owned the rifle all that long, and 700 rounds over a couple trips to the range is hardly a torture test... but I have yet to have any issues with it of any sort.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I am U.S Army; I've shot the M16A1/A2/A3 and M4 Carbine for the last two decades and know a bit about them but not the civilian versions.

My cousin is looking at the following DPMS models and wants to know the scoop on em:

From the pics they all have a collapseble stock but I am just not sure about the barrel twists and other specs that might differ.

Any info or insight on em would greatly be appreciated...he is looking for one for under $900 and these seem to fit his bill from 1st glance, just not sure of them since I have never fired one.
Thanks in advance....
I have never owned or fired a DPMS rifle but they are a well built, reputable brand of AR-15 clones.

Probably the best source of information would be the horse's mouth.
http://www.dpmsinc.com/

DPMS doesn't list their barrel specs online, but I'm guessing that their standard rifles in 5.56x45mm have a 1:9 twist for the rifling. Call their technical support line and speak to someone about this for more information.

You might troll a local gun range and speak with a few of the patrons who are shooting DPMS rifles there. Gun people are usually more than willing to talk about their weapons and may even be kind enough to let you shoot a few rounds through their rifles, if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Those are pre-election MSRP prices and I seriously doubt you'll find one for those prices.

Rather than taking an hour spelling out the differences in each model you can look at the mfg's website and fine what you seek.

TD
Those are accurate and current prices...as of yesterday. Most dealers jacked up thier prices cause of the "Obama Scare" but you can still find dealers around that didnt jack the prices up if you look.
I have been to the manufacturer webpage just was looking for actual owners and people who knew the real differences not just the mass wt. difference that is listed on the webpage.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never owned or fired a DPMS rifle but they are a well built, reputable brand of AR-15 clones.

Probably the best source of information would be the horse's mouth.
http://www.dpmsinc.com/

DPMS doesn't list their barrel specs online, but I'm guessing that their standard rifles in 5.56x45mm have a 1:9 twist for the rifling. Call their technical support line and speak to someone about this for more information.

You might troll a local gun range and speak with a few of the patrons who are shooting DPMS rifles there. Gun people are usually more than willing to talk about their weapons and may even be kind enough to let you shoot a few rounds through their rifles, if you ask nicely.
Thanks....yes, I have emailed thier customer service and am waiting a response to my questions. I saw there was a Forum section on the AR here so I figured "what the heck" versus registering on the AR forum just to ask a question.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Those are accurate and current prices...as of yesterday. Most dealers jacked up thier prices cause of the "Obama Scare" but you can still find dealers around that didnt jack the prices up if you look.
I have been to the manufacturer webpage just was looking for actual owners and people who knew the real differences not just the mass wt. difference that is listed on the webpage.
I never said the prices listed were incorrect but you'll still have a hard time locating them anywhere near those prices. I do know more about DPMS than your average person since I am an authorized dealer.

DPMS has always been painfully slow to deliver their product. I have an order I placed with them in August 2009 well before the Obama frenzy started and they still havent delivered.

DMPS isn't delivering new dealer orders until sometime 2010.

Now answer me this....If you were a dealer and presently had 10 DPMS AR's in stock would you sell them at MSRP if you knew you wouldn't be restocking before 2010? Most dealers depended on their sales to feed their family , pay for the roof over their head not to mention the retail space they occupy.

As a dealer I would gladly pay MSRP on any DPMS to enhance my inventory. I would also mark them up and still make a decent profit.

It's simple economics at work. A low supply coupled with a high demand is going to make prices go up on all levels.

I'm not try to be negative but I make a living in the gun business and I have a habit of telling it like it is.

TD

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't get me wrong, I aint got nuth'n against dealers....heck before I joined the army a few decades ago my father and I ran a family owned gun shop.

I just find it hard to believe when I have one dealer is selling a MSRP $799 rifle for $1499 and another dealer exactly 6 blocks down the road has the same rifle marked at $799 with some on hand and 6-8 week turn around time.
I guess some dealers are higher on the totel pole than others.

I just find the specs on the DPMS web-page to be missing some details as least I am thinking, most of the models all sound the same except for the price and wt.
Every single collapasable stock model looks like the exact same M4 model collapsable stock and has the same DPMS name for the stock yet they only have one model with the words "6 position stock" in the title.....are the others lesser position stocks?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I get DPMS rifles from various distributors every 8 to 10 weeks if I'm lucky.

I'm sure DPMS has preferred dealers that move 500 or more rifles a years and I am not one those high volume dealers but we do move our fair share of iron every year. We have been averaging over 1000 guns sales a years for a while now.

The time frame I quoted was DPMS dealer direct sales.

TD

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So back to my original question.....performance wise what the difference in the rifles?

If the barrels and collapsable stocks are the same on the above rifles; Are thier any differences besides carry handle or flat top?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't know whether prices have taken a huge jump since the last post here, but you can't find an AR of any stripe in this area for under 1K. Most places are getting 6 month delivery estimates from their suppliers and are buying ANYTHING they can get their hands on if it will just ship now. I understand from talking to shop owners, forum members, pawn shops and friends that uppers, lowers and many parts are nearly impossible to find and are through the roof on price as well. Magazines are showing a trend toward the same thing.

All this might be more prevalent in my AO, but I'm thinking it's pretty widespread through the country. I think if anybody has inventory they will be able to sell at those inflated prices with no problem too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me add my experience for what it's worth.

I've heard and read lots of great things about DPMS rifles. My local shop, who's always been great with me in the past, told me yesterday that for an LR-308 (not the most popular rifle by any means) DPMS quoted a lead time of 12 months. Add to that he wasn't even sure they could do that. So, order a rifle now, and if your shop is great, you'll get it around MSRP in a year or more.

Gun manufacturers must have some measure of love for Obama since he's making them manufacture as past as humanly possible.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Thanks in advance....
You can look here as well. Chrome lined is an additional $45.00

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifles_s/2.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts

TD
Dude I bought one brand new at gun show for $530, just picked up another one for $499 don't know where you're getting those numbers, but damn brother.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts