Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new AR out into the woods today, to see how all the new add on parts were going to function together.

Did just fine as far as I'm concerned, considering that my shooting bench was a quad tire and an empty fanny pack. :cool:

Couldn't tell you the distance, (30+ yds.?) but I used my reload consisting of a 40 grain Hornady V-MAX bullet, (lucky to have even found those) 20.5 grains of IMR 4198, and a CCI 400 primer.

That was 10 rounds in that plate, and it looks like that group could use a click or two of windage to the left, but my new fluted Olympic .556 chambered barrel, with its long throat (leade), did pretty darn good with short OAL light bullets IMHO. :cool:

Probably could have tried to get the groups even smaller, but wound up pasting those little orange dots on the primer ends of empty shotgun hulls, shoving them into large enough holes in that piece of 4'X8' plywood out there, and using up the remaining precious rounds to make them all disappear.....ammo well spent! :p

Go out and enjoy your AR-15's people! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice shooting, where did you get your barrel? Are they 16"?
Olympic Arms

That's a fully fluted Olympic Arms 16" carbon steel barrel. :cool:

Bought last December, even before I finally found a new Sig Sauer AR-15 to install it on. (tells you what I think of their barrels huh)

Anybody looking for a unused 16" chrome lined 1:7 Sig Sauer AR barrel? :)

Anyway, years ago I sold a "tack driver" parts AR with a 16" fluted Olympic Arms Stainless Ultra Match (SUM) AR barrel, in order to have enough cash to purchase a Armalite AR-10, but I quickly discovered that my new .308 AR weighed what seemed to be a ton...when your bouncing around on a quadrunner. <_<

Live & learn they say.

Also, I believe Olympic Arms has recently told the state of NY that they will not sell any firearm parts to their law enforcement staff, that the state would no longer allow their law abiding citizens to own.

Proud of these people, hope they get a lot more business from you patriotic gun owners out there! :usa:

And I'll also give them 5 stars on their rifles & parts quality as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't even know what to ask for the thing, but if you decide your interested in a 16" after all, let me know and we'll see what we can do about a reasonable price.

Have some 34 grain Midway Dogstown bullets that I'm going to reload tonight and test out for accuracy ASAP.

I've heard that the lighter bullets stabilize quicker, and therefore are a good choice for the closer ranges.

Either way, I'm having a real enjoyable time with my new AR, and that's what counts.

Can't wait for reloading supplies to return to normal around here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.