Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three pure bred lap hounds, Beagle, Golden Retriever and German Shepard, all house dogs. This morning the Golden was trying to get under an antique dresser that sets up on legs about 6-8" tall. She couldn't get whatever it was that she wanted. The Beagle crawled under the dresser and pulled out one of their stuffed toys and dropped it by the Golden. I "know" that dogs don't think (yeah-right), but I thought that was pretty smart.

Since this is a gun site-We live on a farm-when the dogs see me put a pistol in my pocket, they know we are going for a walk and head for the door.

Semper Fi

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Ahhh, but they do think. I am convinced that they see in color also, but that's just me.
anyone that thinks dogs don't "think" either doesn't have a dog... or has one and it's retarded.

as for the color vision - I suspect they have limited color vision, but don't see in as broad a spectrum as primates.

My dog can't "see" a green tennis ball on the grass from more than 30 yards unless it's moving - but a blue and orange one she definitely can.

dogs also dream - which is a pretty good indication that they think on some level.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
dogs also dream - which is a pretty good indication that they think on some level.
My dog does, and I can tell when its a happy dream because his tail starts to wagging and he will be whimpering and hes out like a light. Sometimes he will just be whimpering and wake himself up and is scared, I'm thinking he just had a nightmare.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds like you have the perfect canine team. brains, brawn, and the small agile handyman. I love stories like this when hounds work together to achieve a common goal to the surprise of everybody but their owners who know them best.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LOL My pound puppy (we think he is a husky/hound or maybe a Husky/Doberman) is 7 months old and my wife has a 5-6yr old beagle/sharpei, the chase each other around the house literally nonstop for hours until one or the other finally collapses from exhaustion (usually my wife's dog), but I have seen my wife's dog pick up a toy and give it to the puppy as he is laying on the futon after he had dropped it and I have also seen her pick up the same toy and taunt him with it running around with it in her mouth making him chase her all over until he finally wears her out and she gives it to him.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My boxer like most was a high energy dog and could not get enough play. If I stopped throwing the ball she would pick it up, run out, drop it, pick it up, bring it back and drop it on my shoes. Apparently I was supposed to believe I had thrown it and it was my turn to throw it again.

My cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix was also high energy but as he got older and had enough he would take his frisbee, ball, stick, bone whatever over to the toy box and drop it in. If I threw it anyway he would get it but then drop it in his water dish and lay down with his paw on it. That was about as close as you could get to the sentence "Enough is enough, I wont play anymore."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts