Perfect Union banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first gun was one of these actually still have it. It is an awesome gun old but still awesome still shoot it till this day from what I understand its really just a copy of a colt that was licensed out to different countries this one being Argentina. I was also told at a gun store if I do anything to it it diminishes its value. It's kinda rough looking some pock marks if not kept oiled and in a gun sock it will start to rust(spotty). I don't know I guess the question I'd like to ask is it worth anything in the first place wouldn't it be worth more if it looked better. It does have sentimental value being my first gun but its got some outer issues like it really looks like a old gun. If I do decide to change that what could be done. Any opinions would be appreciated.

401 Posts
If it is your original pistol...

do with it what you want. It has sentimental value to you so make it look the way you want it to look. No one will ever pay you for the sentimental elements the gun posses so do what you think it needs. I like a nice trigger job and I replace the recoil spring with a rod. Both improve my accuracy.

IMHO

401 Posts
Thought of something else...

If your finish is diminished and you are getting rust consider getting a Cerekote or Duracoat job done on it.

Do a Google image search 1911 Cerakote or 1911 Duracoat and you'll see some pretty cool stuff. Everything from mild to wild.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't refinish it unless you intend to keep it as that would knock the value in half... take some ØØØØ steel wool and scrub the rust and blemishes off. It won't hurt the pistol or existing bluing.

I've got an old Molina that is well preserved and highly accurized. I've kept all the old parts just in case I ever decide to sell it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would rather buy a gun that has been well taken care of and refinished than to buy one just because its old and original. If it belonged to Great Grand Pappy Cletus as he charged up the hill alongside Theodore Roosevelt you might want to put it in a glass box to just look at but to keep this as a shooter do what you have to do to keep it shooting.

Dos Centaos from a dinosaur who shoots old guns regularly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts