Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get into F class long range shooting. You can show up with pretty much any scoped hunting rifle for fun, but you need pretty fancy stuff to be competetive. Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am looking to get into F class long range shooting. You can show up with pretty much any scoped hunting rifle for fun, but you need pretty fancy stuff to be competetive. Has anyone tried it?
What fancy stuff, the only addition to this gear is my spotting scope and note book not shown in this picture.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I shoot a little long range stuff, but only 1 round in a day (2 if the remaining deer are stupid enough to hang around)
Savage makes a F-Class ready rifle, but any tuned heavy hunting rifle will get you started.
The important thing is to learn to read the wind and conditions. Start with what you have, and learn how the game is played (most competitors are more than willing to help out a new guy)
There is a old saying: "money won't buy you bullseyes".

A couple vies of my regular deer plinker (30-06)

My new deer plinker (300 Tomahawk aka 300 RUM Improved 35^), has not yet drawn blood.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is that for the non-scoped class, I think its called F/tr?
F/tr means target rifles, usually heavy rifles on bipods and they will have more money just in their barrel than I will have in my whole kit.

I am a Service class shooter, M1's. M14's or one of the AR rifles with iron sights only. No scope, no bipod no rest of any kind except your body. Sling up and make like a rifleman.

Reactions: Hummer70

·
Registered
102 Posts
Back when I had a Garand, me and the brother used to pick out a dark clump of dirt in the newly disced fields and off hand from a mile or so, walk it in to within 4 feet of what we were trying to hit. Alas, no more Garand.

Reb

·
Registered
25 Posts
Long range shooting: I have never competed in the new long range shooting that is out there now. eight years of my military career I was a rifle competitor. Our course of fire was 200yd, 300yd and 600 yd with the M 14 this was the standard NRA high power course of fire and on occasion A 1,000 match. With the M 16 we competed at 100, 200 300, and 400 yds.

I learned a lot in the 1,000 yd matches, every change in conditions counted. Also I learned about supersonic bullets transending from supersonic to subsonic and losing their accuracy during the transion some to a great degree , like grouping into 1 1/2 minutes of angle at 800yds to not being to stay on the target board (about 6ft by 10ft) at 1,000 yds

Remember how airplanes in tests many years ago shook apart trying to break the sound barrier? this was a shock wave was formed as the sound barrier was broken. the damage occurred because the sound barrier was broken by different parts of the airplane at different times. The air had to travel over the sloped part of the air plane faster than the air than flowed over the flat or less sloped parts of the plane so the sound barrio was not broken fast and clean and did damage to the plane ..

The slope of a bullet has air passing over it much faster than the tip of the bullet and as the bullet is subject to leaving the speed of sound and the sound waves losing their effect on the bullet first to the tip then to the base of the bullet it's flight becomes erratic.

Fackler rebel's story above about shooting his garand at a mile and walking the hits to within about 4 ft of a dark piece of dirt was probably the truth in his mind, however his range estimation could probably use some work. A M1 with the service load using a 147 grain FMJ bullet leaves the barrel at 2,750 fps and at 812 yds goes subsonic at 1,119 fps (this at a altitude of 1,500 ft and a average air density) this is a little less than 1/2 of a mile, the rest of the journey would most likely be very eratic. also the sights on A garand go up to 1,200 yards if zeroed at 1,2oo yards the bullet would (if still stable) hit 34 ft low and would be dropping at the rate aprox. 8 ft for every 25 yds of forword travel.

My point is this if you want to shoot at long ranges 1st determine the longest range that you want to shot and find what cal and bullet that will stay supersonic at that range. then you can start solving the several hundred other problems to be able to hit at long range on demand

he went into younder village and never returned

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Thanks SGT D USMC. I am going to shoot F Class next Monday. I am not the best at it, just thought it would be some fun. Will use my trusty AR10 (until it too is sold) with a heavy fluted and Vortex Viper. Round of choice is the 168 Grain SMK with Lake City Brass, Wolf Primer, AA2520 at 44.2 grains.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Long range rifle

This is my iron sighted long range rifle in 308. It is optimized for 155's. It is shot with a sling. I have never paid any attention to the F-class shooters at the far end of the firing line. They don't matter as far as awards except to each other.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.