Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year is legal to have a folding stock on your mini 14 i have a 92/93 can i have one on this i think its preban.

thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I'm not a big-time expert when it comes to gun regulations, but here is what my understanding is.

Since it is a domestic pre-94 ban, it would seem that you could put a folder on it

BUT (there's always a but, isn't there?)

I've come across some assertations to the effect that if it didn't have such "evil features" BEFORE the ban, it can't have them AFTER the ban either! I guess the idea with that is that you can only repair/replace pre-existing features, not add new ones.

Even if the latter is the case though, who can say if it had such features or not before you assumed possession of it? I say go for it, and IF it ever becomes an issue with the ATF or others, make them PROVE their case in court.

My Mini-14 (183-prefix) already had a flash suppressor and bayonet lug when I bought it, and if I can ever find a Ruger factory folder (or a Butler Creek if that is all there is), I've every intention to "upgrade" it further.

·
Registered
17 Posts
September '94 is when BBFUR, (Big Bill F___ us Running) signed the AW bill, if memory serves me correctly. Jay is right, not only does it have to be manufactured before the date of signing, but that rifle is supposed to have been configured as an AW before that date, to be granfathered in. Hard for them to prove otherwise, unless you have a rifle that was made close to the date. The BATF went around the factories checking receivers for configurations, and they have a list. This mostly applies to AR lowers, but you should find out exactly when your Mini was made. If you are O.K. on that score, do a little research to see if maybe? it had a folding stock on it once before, if even for a brief time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
to be safe don't go past 187-188. you used to be able to check on mini-14 world but they are no more.

·
Registered
689 Posts
18638000 is cutoff on a mini14 any ser.# after this is post. Don't know what the #'s for the ranch and mini30 are. Ruger will tell you the date your ruger firearm was manufactured if you call them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told if the rifle did not come in a assault configuration. No matter what date your rifle was made, you cannot turn it into assault configuration. You can if you like. The burden of proof is on them. But if they catch you. You will be a felon. My .02 cents. cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts