Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had left a comment on a youtube video review about a few guns, and although I disagreed with the authors opinion on which gun was best, it wasnt argumentative, and I said that its all subjective, and to each his own....

So some other guy leaves a comment saying my comment was "Dumb at best", and that all guns within a certain type are all the same, and you shouldnt ever shoot better with one than another. In other words, if you had one semi auto rifle, all other semi auto rifles are SO similar that you should be able to always shoot equally well with all of them, and there should be no noticeable difference in shooting any of them!

He also left me a note on a video that was comparing a Glock, and Springfield XD and an M&P. I had mentioned that I shot better with the XD than I do with the Glock. Not a whole LOT better, but just better, because it just feels better in my hand, more balanced IMO and less recoil, so I shoot tighter groups with it. To that this guy says, "You must just have problems with your fundamentals, because all those 3 guns are just copies of one another, and they all shoot exactly the same"...

I dont see it that way, and my comment to him wasnt as non-argumentative due to his choice to use personal insults to make his point(which is a bogus point IMO).

Does anyone see it that way, that all guns within one type or style or action are so similar that everyone should shoot exactly the same with all of them, or else they have "problems with their fundamentals"?

·
Registered
367 Posts
To a certain extent. I think with enough training, you can get over any nuances. I think we live in a time where a lot of people try to "buy skills" when it comes to guns. I shoot Glocks just as well as I shoot 1911s.. but ultimately shoot revolvers the best. There are those out there who swear Glocks break their wrists because of the "crazy grip angle" - I mean the difference is definitely there and when I switch back and forth between 1911/Glock.. there is a small adjustment period when drawing, but I will adjust to one or the other. On the flip-side.. I still have issues when shooting CZs when on paper and feel, it seems like they should be more like 1911s than a Glock.. so I should shoot them equally as well, right? - doesn't work out for me for whatever reason, but my little thing is that I need a lot of space for my support hand since I have larger palms. If I can get that going, I'm usually good... with a CZ, there isn't enough estate for me to properly do that on the fly.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To a certain extent. I think with enough training, you can get over any nuances. I think we live in a time where a lot of people try to "buy skills" when it comes to guns. I shoot Glocks just as well as I shoot 1911s.. but ultimately shoot revolvers the best. There are those out there who swear Glocks break their wrists because of the "crazy grip angle" - I mean the difference is definitely there and when I switch back and forth between 1911/Glock.. there is a small adjustment period when drawing, but I will adjust to one or the other. On the flip-side.. I still have issues when shooting CZs when on paper and feel, it seems like they should be more like 1911s than a Glock.. so I should shoot them equally as well, right? - doesn't work out for me for whatever reason, but my little thing is that I need a lot of space for my support hand since I have larger palms. If I can get that going, I'm usually good... with a CZ, there isn't enough estate for me to properly do that on the fly.
I think its just like anything else. Pro golfers dont just go to their tournaments and grab whatever old clubs are laying around and compete with them. Sure they'd still probably shoot a good game, but they would probably shoot a little better with clubs that are fitted to their liking.

I have shot Glocks here and there, but never owned one because I dont care for the grip, and I like 1911's, and even Walther P99's, but literally the first time I ever shot an XD I shot a little better with it than I usually do with the Walther after just 1 magazine, because I like the grip, and I like the overall feel of the gun. I dont shoot pistols every week, or even every month, but I've put many, many, many thousands of rounds downrange with them. I owned a Ruger Super Blackhawk for years, and I was shooting better with the 9mm XD than with the .44 revolver.(I'm sure thats recoil related to some extent)

Its the same with rifles to some extent. Maybe not quite as much though as its easier to hold a steady aim with a rifle, especially if you're at a bench or laying prone, etc.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
What's the difference between Glock and Hi Point? A lot, I have shot both and the XD, I shoot better with the XD. I own minis and have shot ARs but I love the mini, shoot better with it. I do have bolt guns but I shoot the mini a lot and do well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Miss the days when I was shooting 3-4 times a week. Thats when you really get to learn the nuances of your weapons. I owned a Walther P99 as well. I loved how it felt, aesthetics, etc.. but on the range I just couldn't get it to perform as well as other guns I owned. On the contrary.. it was one of the guns that my girlfriend shot the best and she really can't get the Glock to work for her. Then again, the CZ 75 SA I owned also shot better in her hands than mine.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
good shooting - it's all about knowing the fundamentals, and the "feel" of the gun in your hands.

if it don't fit, you won't shoot it as well as the gun is capable of - period

if it fits your hands, mounts up naturally, and you get a good spotweld or eye alignment to the sights. you'll shoot it well no matter what it is.

if it feels awkward, aims awkward, or operates awkward - it isn't going to shoot well for you until:
1. change the way you mount up to the gun via physical changes in handling.
2. change the gun to suit the way you shoot or your physique.

a good example - the very first time I ever shot a .45, it was a 1911 owned by another range user, first shot at 10 yards... dead center x ring. it just mated itself to my hand and felt "right". found the front sight, cranked off a round and - a perfect shot. emptied the mag into a hole the size of a golf ball
tried an HK USP in .45 a few years later - yeah I could shoot it... but not as well as that first 1911. I got something that looked like a big grapefruit.
there was something uncomfortable about the grip - and by domino effect, my trigger pull was off, my recovery from recoil was off, etc. took most of a box of ammo to get used to it. got it shooting well enough after some practice - but not like that 1911. it was like i was made for it and it for me -and as far as I know this was a bone stock 90s era colt 1911.

of course this is just one guy's opinion - YMMV

·
Registered
489 Posts
So some other guy leaves a comment saying my comment was "Dumb at best", and that all guns within a certain type are all the same, and you shouldnt ever shoot better with one than another.
If your fundamentals are good, you will probably shoot most guns better than other people. However, some guns are just easy to hit with in my hands. That is because the sights align naturally without strain and the guns are reasonably accurate. That is in deliberate aiming mode - if you push the pace, then recoil recovery factors in too.

I have used a number of CZ75B pistols belonging to others over the years and find it takes little effort for me to shoot small groups with that pistol as it fits my hand perfectly. More recently, I shot with my boss's XD in 45 and hit ten out of ten soup cans at 10 yards with the first magazine - I was impressed.

How well do I shoot? I can shoot one inch groups with my SA Milspec 1911 at 10 yards offhand. I have even tried it at 100 yards and shoot 10 inch groups offhand if I relax and follow through very deliberately.

Apart from bragging, I am trying to point out that I see the differences in guns as how easy it is to hit with them - it becomes more obvious as targets become smaller and the distance increases. Good trigger pulls and visible sights go a long way to make this possible, but it starts with "natural aiming" in my hands. Your hands are different and you and your heckler may not perform equally well with all firearms of like type offhand.

Now, that does not mean your heckler is wrong; it probably means he shoots equally poorly with all guns. Or, he shoots everything from the bench, in which case ergonomics and their effect on facilitating ones ability are greatly diminished in effect and importance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts