Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do barrel Shrouds really help or are they mostly for looks? I am considering one offered a cabelas, but I was wondering if it really kept the barrel cooler or if it was just for looks? I don't even have the gun yet and I am already getting stuff for it. Based on the good things I read here I have already ordered two PMI 30 round mags and a black warrior muzzle brake. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
83 Posts
IMHO barrel shrouds such as the one that you refered to serve two functions. They keep you from burning yourself with your minis hot barrel and some people think that they look cool.:ar15:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I liked the way my shroud looked but I ended up taking it off in the end. The set screws always shook loose even when I used Loctite and they scratched my barrel....just a couple things to consider.

·
Registered
716 Posts
In my opinion, shrouds make the gun look gaudy. If it is functional in cutting down your group sizes, great - do it. Otherwise, its just more junk hanging off your gun.

The barrel gets hot after sustained shooting, I'll give you that, but let's be realistic: how often do you touch your barrel? When I use a varminter rest, I grab the strap right where it connects to the gun, and the gas block gets hot too. Yet - wait, does someone make a shroud for this too?!? :)

Pretty much, they're for show, and can lead to scratches on the barrel as Grinch says.

Now there ARE shrouds that some ppl on this board have made themselves, which actually are functional and increase your accuracy. If you scan the board in the Mini-14 accurizing section, you should be able to find them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts