Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Mini Ranch out for the first time today and was really disappointed with the results. First of all I screwed up big by failing to take the damn thing apart and clean it before I shot it. I started out with .223 ammo and the factory sights, the first couple 5 round clips ran through fine but then I started getting failures to eject. I also noticed the action wasn't closing as crisply as it should. By the time I ran 40 rounds through it it was failing on every shot to eject. I assume all those issues were my fault for not cleaning it first.
I was also disappointed in the accuracy, I was only shooting 50 yards from a bench rest (and I'm not a bad shot) and it was shooting about 6" left. I then mounted a scope and shot a few rounds and the factory rings kept coming loose. I didn't use any Loctite but I thought I cranked them down pretty good, I guess not.
I had previously installed the Accu Strut and really expected a lot better accuracy. I'm going to clean it and take the strut off and try it again and see how it goes. If it's not any better I'm cutting my losses and putting it on Gun Broker.

· Registered
13 Posts
Accu strut is going to help with groups as the barrel heats up. I don't think it has much effect as far as getting it sighted in. Were they all grouped 6" left? Did you adjust the rear sight and try again before mounting the scope? Until you have it sighted in with the iron sights you really can't tell about the accuracy. What ammo were you using? New? Old?Cheap? Dirty? For the most part it sounds like a need for cleaning and loctite to me.You may also want to check the scallops in the scope mount to make sure Ruger cut them correctly, apparently there were many they didn't cut just right.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Accu strut is going to help with groups as the barrel heats up. I don't think it has much effect as far as getting it sighted in. Were they all grouped 6" left? Did you adjust the rear sight and try again before mounting the scope? Until you have it sighted in with the iron sights you really can't tell about the accuracy. What ammo were you using? New? Old?Cheap? Dirty? For the most part it sounds like a need for cleaning and loctite to me.You may also want to check the scallops in the scope mount to make sure Ruger cut them correctly, apparently there were many they didn't cut just right.
Yes they were all grouped left, except for the ones I aimed to the right of center to compensate. I didn't bring the allen wrench so I couldn't adjust the rear sight, hence the compensation. Ammo was all new, some Winchester
.223 and Independence (never heard of it before, got it from Natchez) all FMJ 55 grain. I'm not as concerned with the scope rings as the ejection and accuracy issues.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
I took the Mini Ranch out for the first time today and was really disappointed with the results. First of all I screwed up big by failing to take the damn thing apart and clean it before I shot it. I started out with .223 ammo and the factory sights, the first couple 5 round clips ran through fine but then I started getting failures to eject. I also noticed the action wasn't closing as crisply as it should. By the time I ran 40 rounds through it it was failing on every shot to eject. I assume all those issues were my fault for not cleaning it first.
I was also disappointed in the accuracy, I was only shooting 50 yards from a bench rest (and I'm not a bad shot) and it was shooting about 6" left. I then mounted a scope and shot a few rounds and the factory rings kept coming loose. I didn't use any Loctite but I thought I cranked them down pretty good, I guess not.
I had previously installed the Accu Strut and really expected a lot better accuracy. I'm going to clean it and take the strut off and try it again and see how it goes. If it's not any better I'm cutting my losses and putting it on Gun Broker.
Hi Mwood;
1. Definitely clean and lube the mini. It's fresh out of the box and needs both.
2. What ammo were you using? Steel case is notoriously grubby and used in a dirty chamber will cause fouling big time. Worst of the worst is the polymer coated stuff for some reason.
3. Always use loctite on sight screws with minis no matter how tight you think you got 'em - the action once broken in is reliable, but somewhat violent and is notorious for loosening screws.
4. You can't actually judge accuracy until you have your scope mounts tightened. I've had rifles that seemed to shoot all over the paper - and it was just a loose sight mount. Once properly adjusted I have had some really good results from minis for accuracy.

Good luck and all the best,
Grumpy

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Yes they were all grouped left, except for the ones I aimed to the right of center to compensate. I didn't bring the allen wrench so I couldn't adjust the rear sight, hence the compensation. Ammo was all new, some Winchester
.223 and Independence (never heard of it before, got it from Natchez) all FMJ 55 grain. I'm not as concerned with the scope rings as the ejection and accuracy issues.
Independence is good stuff - check the headstamp. It's Israeli milsurp M193 ball.

You can take the cleaning rod for a pistol and put a bend in it to serve as a chamber brush - but definitely clean that chamber if you're having FTE issues.

All the best,
Grumpy

· Registered
13 Posts
Since they are grouping when you change aim, its a matter of adjusting the site, not a matter of accuracy of the mini. Its shooting where its pointed, just got to get the sights and muzzle in agreement with each other. The accu strut can't do a thing about that so removing it and not zeroing isn't going to achieve anything. GOM covered everything else. Oh, Independence ammo is the definition of cheap ammo IMHO.

· Registered
298 Posts
The Ruger rings and mounting system in my opinion is one of the best there is. I have haved zero issues with my Mini-30 or 22-250 in 25 years of ownership.

I have never used locktite (it is a good idea though) on either but, I also use a very large screwdriver to tighten the rings down with.

Question, is the Mini brand new? It sounds like it might be but, I don't think you mentioned if it was or not.

New or used, either way, break it down all the way and start the cleaning as suggested by everyone. Grumpy makes a great suggestion for a chamber brush.

After you get it back together, as suggested, locktite the screw's for the rings. And use a wide flat blade screw driver that has a nice long shank, that will allow you to get some good levrage on the screws. You should have zero issues' with things coming loose.

Then try the process again. I always use good ammo to get on target. The military/cheap stuff is ok to shoot after you have things dialed in. But I have found with the Mini, its much more consistant with good ammo.

Hope you get things dialed, would hate to see a Mini go to gunbroker.com before its time.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
I didnt clean mine.. never had a single failure to anything
You're a luckier man than I (or maybe I'm just a pig when it comes to maintenance! ;) ) - I've managed to make just about anything jam over the last 30 years or so! And that includes 1911's, AK's, Glocks, and Garands. And minis. Even had an airlight J-frame smith shear off the trigger pin during the first box of ammo. S&W made it right and I got a brandy spankin' new gun out of it....

That's why I always tell people to test 'em out first and never rely on any gun out of the box until its had a few hundred rounds through it (or in this ammo drought maybe one box of ctgs if the alternative is that you have a tested but unsupplied piece!).

But even if his gun does need factory repair, these days I would cheerfully submit that he should send it in to be fixed rather than sell it and hope to get a better rifle next time 'round. With the speed the factories are pumping 'em out a few duds are bound to slip by everyone and by fixing it you have a known good rifle then....and a spare firing pin if you ask nicely and Ruger CS consents.

All the best,
Grumpy

· Registered
602 Posts
I've noticed the factory lube on alot of new guns is really 'gummy' by the time I get them, I would make sure the rails and bolt are clean and lubed as well as the chamber. Best of luck!

· Registered
10,504 Posts
Usually the 1st mod is to adjust the gas block screws to even torque. This will help the accuracy out of the box.

· Registered
2,273 Posts
I've noticed the factory lube on alot of new guns is really 'gummy' by the time I get them, I would make sure the rails and bolt are clean and lubed as well as the chamber. Best of luck!
Most of the time thats not lube but some kind of preservative to keep rust or corrosion from setting in during storage. Sometimes guns sit around either at the manufacture or the distributer for awhile before they get sold to a dealer.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
Usually the 1st mod is to adjust the gas block screws to even torque. This will help the accuracy out of the box.
In addition to everything else above, tri70 makes a good point. An improperly torqued gas block can wreak havoc with accuracy and zeroing iron sights.

Get yourself a good (preferably new...) Allen wrench (9/64", IIRC) and work the screws back and forth -- 1/4 turn CCW, 1/8 turn CW, and so on, until they're all loose. Apply a drop of BLUE LocTite to each screw. Then re-tighten in an 'X' pattern, making sure to keep the gap between the halves of the block as even as possible. Torque to approx. 30-36 INCH-lbs, or until turning an 'L' shaped Allen wrench by the short end just hurts your finger/thumb.

Another point: Minis need to be broken in. It took my 2008 580-series about 200 rounds before it really started running good. Seemed like it jammed every other round for the first couple of mags, then it would only jam once per mag, and so on.

Lastly: Be sure you're not riding the op rod handle with your hand. Pull it back with one finger until you hear the bolt release click, then let 'er fly! Easing the bolt home will cause a jam on the following round 95% of the time, IME.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the advise. I haven't touched the gas block yet but I'll do that next. I'm thinking about picking up a laser bore sight just to get a rough idea of where it's pointing before I start messing with the rear sight. Next thing I'll probably do is just replace that sight with an after market unit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.