Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my peep sight and close range like 35 yards it is difficult for me too get on target quickly with my mini 14 ranch rifle does anyone have any tips? also should I put on a different rear sight? one that is not a peep?:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try bringing the gun up to your shoulder and acquiring stock to cheek weld with both eyes open - when the front post hits the target, close your left eye (RH shooter) and quickly finalize sight picture before breaking the shot. With practice, it shouldn't matter what rear sight you have. Otherwise, you are left with trying to mount an optical (Red Dot or Aimpoint) sight or finding a rear "ghost ring" from someone like Ashley (AO Sight Systems). Personally, I just hate having to shoot my mini a whole bunch in practice (not). Have fun shootin!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Of course everyone is different, but I like open u rear sights, for me I can get on target quicker with a u than with a peep, but even better I like the dot sights for quickest target acquisition. Like stu said you need to develope a natural cheek weld, ( apply tape or a notch on your stock) concetrate on the front sight on target first, if your cheek weld is consistant the rear sight will already be in the ball park when you close your left eye. It takes some practice. If you like the peep sights I would go with a larger one, its faster than a smaller one. Thats just my opinion

·
Registered
567 Posts
1911greg---You notice the term cheek weld was mentioned twice in two different replies. That is important. When using any sight making sure the old kisser hits that stock in the same place everytime is very important. With the proper cheek weld the peepsight doesn't even come into play anymore. You just lay the front sight on the target & everything is lined up perfectly. A ghost ring peep sight is best suited for close quarters or moving targets, they aren't meant for target work. Cajungeo likes the U type, my old eyes won't allow me to line up the rear sight the front sight & the target anymore but there is nothing wrong with a U sight. Any sight you choose will take practice. Go buy a case of ammo & have a ball!

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
160 Posts
"it is difficult for me too get on target quickly with my mini 14 ranch rifle does anyone have any tips?"

You bet: Red Dot Sight. Have you used them before? There is nothing faster IMHO. They are also great on pistols, which is where I usually use them. I have on on a Clark 1911.

I installed an UltraDot on my Ranch Mini-14. I believe it cost just at $100.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
greg, if I could squeeze in a couple of questions for DK? You stated in another post you do most of your shooting at 50 yds. Have you tried your dot scope at 100 yds? Is the dot sharp or a little fuzzy around the edges? Who makes the Ultra Dot? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cajungeo, I've never used a red dot at 100 yards. The longest range I've used is 50 yards. Red dots normally don't have any magnification, and at longer ranges they aren't as effective. If I were going to shoot my rifle at larger ranges, or were trying for 'pin point accuracy', I'd use a rifle scope. On the other hand, I'd probably not use the Mini for those either! IMHO, the Mini is a great 50 yard "critter gun" and that's about it. I like the speed of the red dot over an optical sight for that reason.

I've not noticed the scope getting "fuzzy" as you said except due to my poor eyesight! With the right glasses it's sharp. The smaller the dot size the sharper it looks to me.

The Mini's red dot is made by Ultra Dot. It's a one inch tube. Others I have installed on handguns are all Tascos, some are about 40mm, others are 1 inch. I don't really see much difference in any of them to tell the truth as far as the dot clarity, dependabilty or battery life goes. On a rifle the smaller tubes are fine as your eye is so much closer to the sight compared to a handgun.

I also use an Optima sight on one of my handguns, which would probably work just as well on a rifle. It's a little more expensive howerver.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh, for a pistol, I'd recommend the larger sized tubes. I have a 40mm on my 1911 and it's excellent. The small, 1 inch tubes don't do so well on the handguns. Too hard to pick up the dot quickly.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
greg, I believe the tasco mini mag comes with a built in "dove tail" mount for .22 cal. Don't think it would work on the mini. See your other post for a more detailed answer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts