Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between the material of the old Federal Ordnance handguards and the new Choate handguards? I know they are the same design, but I want to know if they are made out of different polymers. I purchased a Federal Ordnance one off of Ebay, and it has melted where the handguard meets the gas block everytime I have gone shooting. It has deformed to were it no longer fits up against the stock near the gas block.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I need a Choate then. I was thinking of getting one of the old Federal Ordnance metal handguards off Ebay, but people what stupid amounts of money for them. Even the lowest starting bid, $35 shipped, seems a bit much for a formed piece of sheet metal. Well I guess it's better than a few few months ago when I was looking at getting one. Only one guy was selling them on Ebay, one at a time, and people were instantly bidding up to $80-90. Stupid A-Team, making metal handguards and factory folders stupid expensive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got both, but the Fed Ordinance one was accidental. I'd ordered a Choate and from Brownell's and the Fed Ordinance arrived instead. I never had any issues with the thing melting, though I didn't like the color. I found it slightly grayish so I painted it matte black. Regardless, when I got a second Mini and orderd another foregrip cover a genuine Choate one arrived and not only was the color blacker, but it fit better. The Choate one fit much more snugly (word?) against the stock whereas the Fed Ordinance left a small gap between the stock and the bottom of the vented cover as part of it rested on the actual barrel - and the metal clip kept it elevated too. The Fed Ordinance one also had a little fore-aft slop in it too. I could slide it maybe 1/16" front-back. The fit of the Choate one was so superior I ordered a second one and put it on my other Mini too and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd have to imagine those metal ones can get pretty hot. I have no experience with the Federal Ordinance plastic guard but I've been very happy with my Choate. It fits well and helps a lot with cooling vs. factory. It is a tad narrower than the wood stock though so it doesnt go flush out to the sides of the stock like the factory one does.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd have to imagine those metal ones can get pretty hot. I have no experience with the Federal Ordinance plastic guard but I've been very happy with my Choate. It fits well and helps a lot with cooling vs. factory. It is a tad narrower than the wood stock though so it doesnt go flush out to the sides of the stock like the factory one does.
I hope this wasn't in response to my post, I didn't mean to imply that my handguard was metal, only the clip that secures it to the barrel is metal and for some reason the backing behind the clip was so thick it elevated the plastic cover so that it didn't sit flush onto the stock. There was a slight gap which bothered me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I hope this wasn't in response to my post, I didn't mean to imply that my handguard was metal, only the clip that secures it to the barrel is metal and for some reason the backing behind the clip was so thick it elevated the plastic cover so that it didn't sit flush onto the stock. There was a slight gap which bothered me.
No, Neurotic Hapi Snak had mentioned the metal ones - I really like how they look but they have to be risky for the hands if you're shooting a lot unless you're wearing gloves.

Has anyone else noticed the Choates being narrower than the wood stocks? Its not a big deal but it bugs me a bit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
"Has anyone else noticed the Choates being narrower than the wood stocks? Its not a big deal but it bugs me a bit."

Can you heat it and spread it out some?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.