Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going from memory... but I seem to remember, maybe like 15 years ago? Ruger was making shiny cowboy revolvers (the Vaquero?) but also had MATCHING CALIBER shiny cowboy lever actions... anybody remember that? I can't find any info online anywhere...

I seem to remember 44mag matching single action revolver and lever?

·
Registered
231 Posts
96/22. They have never made a true "cowboy" rifle to my knowledge. They made a semi-auto rifle in 44 Magnum. Looked like the 10-22.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm... must have been another maker....

I'll bet I'm confusing ruger's police carbines (and pistols), chambered in the same calibers, with an ad for someone else's shiny cowboy guns. lol

...but how cool would a "Vaquero Lever Action" be???

·
Registered
147 Posts
unless it was traditional looking, I doubt that it would sell. Levers must not be doing too good, or Marlin would't be owned by Remington, as it now is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If it looked like this, it would be nice. hopefully the price would be under a $1000.00

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is an Uberti reproduction of the winchester 1873. They are very well made with greaat fit and finish. The action, which is the same in the 1860 Henry (the real one), the 1866 Winchester, and the 1873 Winchester lends them selves to be tuned to awesome heights. If you would pick up my rifles and cycle them, you would not feel any resistance other than slightly pick up a little when the hammer cocks. sounds like a brag, but it is very true. you would not think it had springs.

The back one is the one on the log. I refinished it like the front one later. They are both 38/357. One is my main match rifle nd one is a backup.

this one is reproduction of a 1866 Winchester but....wait for it......it is a 22lr.

I kinda like lever actions. There is another 1873 in 45 Colt. An 1866 in 45 Colt. The Marlin is a 38-55.

Whoa, the 1873s sold for about $800.00 in 2001. They run about a thousand now. The price will raise as long as our dollar is devalued. The pistol grip may cost a hundred or more extra. To get an 1873 tricked out for cowboy, you would pay about $1400.00. Thats an action job and a short stroke kit. They take all the slop out and shorten the stroke needed to cycle the rifle.
I am 71. I have long fingers and I can cycle the action on the rifle by putting my thumb on top of the tang and simply flick my fingers. i am totally serious. I can load ten rounds of soft shooting 38 specials and start with the rifle at port arms. At the beep,I can hit a 12 X12 at 21 feet 10 times in just over 4 seconds. No brag, just fact. And as I have described the rifle runs like billy hell.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ruger9, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts