Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And if so, when did they switch to birch? Boyd's isn't very clear on the wood in their "original Mini 14 stock." Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw a mini 14 new in the box at a gun show last year -- the stock looked like quartersawn oak, with some amazing "tiger stripe" grain to it. Only one I've ever seen like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The first 1000 Mini 14's were built in Southport, CT and had walnut stocks. Collectors items now, they had an M-14 style rear sight with gold bead dovetailed on the front.

If I were geek enough to put up photos I would.

I'm not aware of any other Mini's offered with a factory walnut stock however if I am wrong - correction will be coming in 3 . . . 2 . . .

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that is hot.

Sharp stock too! Seriously though, I don't think I'm willing to stretch the budget to include a collector caliber stock. Refinished birch will have to do.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Wow, that is hot.

Sharp stock too! Seriously though, I don't think I'm willing to stretch the budget to include a collector caliber stock. Refinished birch will have to do.
Thats like one of those pictures from the 90's that you stare at for a while and eventually a rifle appears huh?

·
American realist
316 Posts
Wow, that is hot.

that picture would be much better if that mini was in a factory folder. folded of course....

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is my rifle. this is my gun. This is for shooting. This is for fun. Any Old Timers remember that? Anyway, this is my current Mini in the flesh so to speak. It is the tactical with the circassion walnut stock originally a "Davidson's " exclusive. All the advantages of the current mini tactical with a classic look.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's mine to a tee Navy, except I have an old beater stock. It has an odd finish on it. I bought it for the steel butt plate. When it came to refinishing the stock, I decided to look for walnut because I love the look and feel of my M1A and 10/22 Scout in walnut. Frankly I don't know that this old stock is not walnut. How would I find out?

P.S. Not sure when I start qualifying as an old timer, but I remember "This is my gun" from Full Metal Jacket. Hat's off to you vets who recall it from the real thing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I saw a 10/22 in a Mannlicher stock. I think it was a laminate. It was pretty cool.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My dream gun: A Mini in 5.56 with a 10 rd and an en bloc clip ( like the M1 Garand) in an M1 Garand "Tanker" configuration. It would be so handy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts