Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just purchased 400rds of once fired 45acp brass. I then cleaned them inside and out, and re-sized them. The while messing around looking for reloading supplies I can across the primer pocket uni-formers and noticed that they are 3 different sizes SM/rifle/pistol, Lg rifle, and Lg pistol.

Here is my question I only have had the first two and not knowing about the LG Pistol one all my brass are uniformed to LG rifle I'm guessing. And was wondering if will these still function in my SR1911 or did I just my a lesson learned mistake and discard they brass for safety concerns.

The uniforms in question are the Lyman's

Thanks everyone for their inputs.:)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It depends on how much brass you gouged out of the primer pockets I suppose. The biggest difference is that the rifle primers are thicker so if you reamed the pistol primers too deep the primers may sit too deep in the case. Not really sure if this would be a problem, depends on the particular gun I would guess. I would just try them and if the primers are pretty close to flush with the case head or just slightly below, they should be fine. Load up a few and see if the firing pin will detonate the primer. I don't do anything to my primer pockets unless there is a problem. If there is too much carbon build up so the primer won't seat properly I clean it with a primer pocket brush. I have yet to ever need to ream them with a uniformer.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there is little or no difference between how deep the large rifle verses the large pistol resizer goes. Did you peel out brass while cleaning and resizing the holes? You will need to load a few primers and try them in you auto. You will have to load it single shot style. If the primers pop, then you should be good to go. After 30 years I have to admit I have never used a resizer tool. Only a cleaning brush/ tool. I have never seen the need. kwg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some european loaded .45acp have primer pockets are a little large, but not overly so.
Aren't large pistol and large rifle primers the same size? Just the amount of primer material? The amount of primer "charge"...
I will have to go home and measure them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Large rifle primers are very slightly "taller" than large pistol primers, on the order of 0.008 inch, IIRC. The small rifle and pistol primers are the same height.
The only way to know for sure if you've ruined your brass is to do as suggested above and try it with some primed cases. What works in your 1911 might not in someone else's, and vice-versa.

Worst case, you learned a cheap lesson about reloading: it's an extremely simple process, nevertheless, there are many ways to screw it up. Any lesson learned without damage to a person, pet or firearm is cheap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
8 thousanths taller... ok. I have loaded hot rod .45colt with large rifle primers as per recipie and the primers wherent high at all.
Only do that with a early Ruger Vaquero or a rifle.
It is possible to do a little experimentation but BE CAREFUL.
Since supplys are becomeing scarcer and scarcer... knowing what will fit what can be useful.
So much of stuff like this is dependant on manufacturing variables that we cannot control we have to test it empiricaly and see for our selves what works and what doesnt

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
a firm seating and a push-slip fit are important. try a few with pistol primers to check.
if they're loose fit load rifle primers in them, they'll light off. just mark the cases for future reference.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My primer pocket cleaning tool came from Sinclair and only has 2 tools in it. One for large and one for small. Ive never heard of a third size.
It's not the "size" (diameter), but the length/depth that is different (large pistol being shorter/shallower).
As most reloaders don't uniform their primer pockets (as a rule, only us accuracy rifle types do so) the problem doesn't rear it's ugly head very often.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks guys, I just learned something new. In its new catalogue Sinclair does sell 3 primer pocket uniformers. I've never suffered a misfire or accuracy problem just using the small and large and I doubt if I'll bother buying another one for the pistol but I guess its nice to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.