Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about two months of making up my mind, I finally got a Mini-14 ranch wood/ss. It shoots great so far. There was one or two minor hangup that I have had with it. I put a Simmons .22 Mag 4X32 scope on it and every time the brass is ejected, it get dented on the scope windage knob. Is this a common mishap?
The second minor problem is with the 30 round magazine I bought with it. It was some no-name cheap p.o.s. I guess I got what I paid for. It chambers one round and ejects one more out the side. One time I was shooting (non-rapid) and the dang thing just dropped out of the bottom. Needless to say, I will have to go get something a little more reliable.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Chuck. If I may throw you a couple of ideas, that may help on the brass hitting the elevation knob, you might recheck the scope installation, i.e. making shure the vertical crosshair is straight up, then set scopes eye relief, by putting scope on max magnification, and sliding scope fwd, or rearward to fill scope tube with light, with your natural cheek weld. These 2 things may move the knob just enough to clear brass.

If you have already done this I would recommend getting a gas port bushing kit from mike knifong, to adjust the gas pressure. I noticed on mine, besides reducing recoil, and distance brass flies, it changed the direction the brass flew. If I remember, the lower the pressure the more fwd the brass flies.

BTW. before installing the kit, my brass was dented by the slide handle on my ranch. Could yours be doing the same, and batting the case into the scope knob? The bush kit will fix that.

You can use the search button on your control panel, and enter key word bushing, many related threads will come up.

Before ya throw the mag away, some members have reformed the mag feed lips, with needle nose plyers, with the jaws wraped with tape so as not to scratch. By matching the Ruger 5 rd mag. lips. Also try opening the bolt before loading or leave a couple of rds out to get a more secure latch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the scope off today and the brass was still getting dented. I must not have noticed it before I added the scope. Also the mouth of the case on one side is a little flattened. I will try the gas port bushing to see if that fixes things.

Also, I have noticed that after the last round is fired and the bolt is knocked into the open position, it jars the rifle pretty good and there is a mild vibration from it for maybe a second in duration. I did not know if this was normal on higher powered auto-loaders or not. The only auto-loaders that I have shot have been .22LR's. If it isn't normal is it possible that it may have long term ill effects on the action? Is there anything to remedy this?

OK, one more newbie question (I am not making any promises, though). Is the slide handle supposed to be fairly loose and rattle around?

Thanks for any info/insite that anyone may have,

Tony

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey chuck slayer. Yep your brass is dented by the slide rod. The gas port bushing will fix that, your recoil will be reduced a lot, and you will be able to keep your sights on the bull during rapid fire.

You may want to get a recoil buffer for the other problem. They run around $9.95 or you can make one out of a rubber inter tube. Do not exceed 1/8" or it will interfer with the bolt. BTW it goes over the slide rod guide, and slide spring, up against the receiver, so when the slide rod comes up to the receiver it acts as a cushion reducing recoil.
The vibration is from the Piano wire spring in your mag. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts