Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how long you guys carry your ammo in your ccw gun before you replace it with fresh ammo? i change my wife and mine out about every 2 months but i did not know if that is a good amount of time. we shoot the old ammo and never had a misfire.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would think once or twice a year would be find. Quality small arms ammunition remains reliable for years if not under extreme environmental conditions. Your routine, however, has a plus in that (a) you no doubt have a high level of confidence in your ammo and (b) you actually shoot the rounds you rely on at least six times a year. Given that most of us practice with ammunition other than our carry rounds, the frequent function and "reality" check that your routine provides is IMHO a good thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
do you chamber and unchamber the one that is up the spout? If so, it's getting nicked up on the extractor rim, best change it out pretty frequently if so.
Good point, Whoa. I guess I was thinking revolver, but my 1911 didn't mar the case to any degree. If a semi-auto I carried did that, I would indeed swap out that first case.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Its not so much the round getting nicked up or extractor marks on the rim as it is bullet setback from repeated chambering. Some high intensity cartridges that have the bullet set back in the case even just a little can increase the operating pressure of the round to dangerous levels.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Gets replaced every few weeks because somebody shoots it all up on a regular basis. Call it my quality control inspection.

This is a 15 yards draw and shoot 5 rounds, reload, reholster and repeat. This was the last of 5 targets and the end of that box of ammo.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my wife and i leave our guns loaded all the time and never re-chamber,(semiauto kahr p380 and xd9 sc) we just pull the slide back a little to check and make sure the round is chambered and that is it, i was thinking about calling hornady to see what they recommend. i saw some 308 rounds that were in the back of a car for a few months and you could feel a difference in a few of the rounds that they were not up to power so that makes me wonder how carry ammo would hold up to the moisture and temp changes everyday.

·
Registered
147 Posts
well, how long did that 2 gunsfull take to put there? do you know that the common range for civilian self defense is 10 FEET? Know how long it takes to charge-dive 10 ft? less than ONE second, guy. :) So perhaps you are practicing something that's no more practical than bullseye or group shooting.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
well, how long did that 2 gunsfull take to put there? do you know that the common range for civilian self defense is 10 FEET? Know how long it takes to charge-dive 10 ft? less than ONE second, guy. :) So perhaps you are practicing something that's no more practical than bullseye or group shooting.
Thats OK, he only need one and has five more to back it up.

·
01FFL
40 Posts
I've been taught to Rotate Brass Cased ammo stored in Magazines.
Evidently the top round will deform over time due to the spring pressure against the feed lips.

Left too long the deformed case can cause jams.

You don't need to change the ammo just rotate it in the mag, Top round to the bottom.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Oh I don't know about that. I inherited my granddads 1911 and a few loaded magazines that had been in his sock drawer since the mid 40's and there were no deformed rounds and they all went bang. I got that gun in the mid 90's so that was around 50 years in the magazines, the ammo was all 43 issue ball.

·
Registered
147 Posts
and it was corrosive primed. Modern primers don't hold up as well. Many gun's mag springs are much more highly stressed than the old 1911's standard mag is, too. However, that part has nothing to do with the ammo itself, just pointing out that ALL mags are not as forgiving of being left fully loaded. The Army left the 1911 mags one rd short, as SOP, when I was an MP in 1972, and left the 20 rd M16 mags 2 rds short, too, for long term storage. I have read that putting in the "last" rd almost doubles the stress on the mag spring, for many designs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good quality modern magazines have better steel in their springs than was originally used 60 years ago. The reason for short loading a magazine was some guns had a feed issue and did better without the magazine topped off. Better machining and improved feed ramps eliminated that problem with most but not all new models. I have had my best luck with the target models with the old guns but the new guns mostly work fine with short loads or topped off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use dry lube and never unload the gun. I have a "spare" that does all the dryfiring and nearly all the shooting, so that the fouling and wear are not on the ccw gun. This way, I don't need to clean the ccw gun (and don't clean the practice gun much, since the occasional malfunction clearing is just good practice) If I have to jettison the carry gun, lose it to a car wreck, fire, theft or have it seized as evidence, after a shooting, I can just switch to carrying the spare, while I get a new one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
So what you are saying is that YOU need to get within arms reach of a boogerman and shoot as many bullets as fast as you can and reload with a magazine and do it again till you finally hit something. Some of us prefer quality over quantity. I hate having to shoot something twice and with the proper round I don't have to very often. Better stick to video games youngster, you are less likely to get hurt and you can always reset the game if you lose and pretend that loss didn't happen. I double dog dare you to come to the little hut in the woods and show me your marksmanship is superior. I'm getting long in the tooth, and my legs aren't as sturdy as they used to be, my eyes are getting a bit foggy from cataracts but I still have a couple years of experience that allow me to do what has to be done even if that means I will never meet your high standards.

We will set up with me at 15 yards from the target and you at 15 feet and see who can shoot better. You can take a step forward towards the target if that is to far back for you. If you beat me I will listen intently to every word you say from now on and try to learn the way from the master Guru.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, are you saying the ability to shoot a group with a double action revolver is a bad thing? Are you really that weird?

·
Troll Fister
138 Posts
I use dry lube and never unload the gun. I have a "spare" that does all the dryfiring and nearly all the shooting, so that the fouling and wear are not on the ccw gun. This way, I don't need to clean the ccw gun (and don't clean the practice gun much, since the occasional malfunction clearing is just good practice) If I have to jettison the carry gun, lose it to a car wreck, fire, theft or have it seized as evidence, after a shooting, I can just switch to carrying the spare, while I get a new one.
Mr. Davis, so you are admitting on a public fourm that you, a convicted fellon are in the habit of carring a concealed firearm?

Wow you are stupid.

by the way - heard that Bubba the prison rapist misses you. :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.