Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received new factory 30 round today from midwayusa. I noticed right off that the mag had a gap on the back side in the edge where the steel is folded around the mag and spot welded. My other factory 30 rnd has no gap at all. The new mag is very hard to load the follower hangs up when trying to push bullets into the mag. After finally getting it full when trying to unload it the follower hangs and tilts and does not push the bullets up properly or not at all. My other 30 rounder has never done this and always works perfectly like the factory 20 rnd mags I have. I'm sending it back to midway tomorrow and hopefully getting another one that works like it should. Has anyone else seen this with any factory mini 14 mags?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok since I got zero response to this post I feel better now. With all the mini 14 users here I take it that I must have got a 1 in a million defective factory mag and the one I ordered to replace it will most likely be 100% reliable.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have heard of a couple of defective 30's.

Midway is an excellent outfit and will do right by you.

A smart man tests his equipment thoroughly. Glad to see you're a smart man. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 7 brand new factory 30 rounders I just received from 44mag.com and all are defective in exactly the same way. Very difficult to get 28 rounds in. When I start stripping rounds out of the mags, the followers hang up and I can just dump a few rounds right out. When I checked the follower travel, I noticed the followers bind up halfway down the mags. It appears the mag bodies are out of spec. Very disappointing. These are as bad as the USA mags I bought these kits to replace. :angry:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I should receive the new mag tomorrow or the next day. If it is the same I will send it back and get them to send a factory 20 rnd. I have 2 of them and they have been 100% reliable. I have one factory 30 that has been perfect but if I can't find another one that is not defective I'll just stick with the factory 20 rounders.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought 5 about 3 years ago when they first got re-released. All were junk. I have a post about it someplace.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my replacement factory 30 rnd saturday. Today I took my mini 14 out to test the new mag. I filled it with 30 rds and slowly emptied the mag and had no problems. Refilled it with 30 rds and again emptied it with no problems. I satisfied with the new one and I think after this it will be reliable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had that problem with a 20 rounder ,the magazine was pinching the front of the follower about half an inch from the top of the magazine. I smoothed up the follower and bent the sides of the magazine out a little where it was pinching and now it works fine. I was lucky it was in a location I could get to easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts