Perfect Union banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
You are using just a standard Allen screw ? Those gas pistons/tube are so dang hard. I tried tapping one and I couldn't get the tap to cut. It finally broke off and I had to replace the gas piston/tube.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
As far as bedding the action and all this other falderal to fix unknown gross problems, it isn't going to fix the root cause of your problems until you definitively figure out what is wrong. Things like that are for fine tuning the gun after it runs perfectly.
This is kind of the main question I have been chasing the answer for. The fact that the European dealer changed the barrel, with no questions asked, tells me that this gun has had some obvious issues. And that all these small things probably will not cure any of that.

I actually have an Accu-Strut lying around, from my countless efforts to get the gun accurate, I think I'll just put that back on and shoot it and clean it some more. After I got the new barrel, the gun at least went from "totally useless, borderline dangerous" to "not quite as accurate as I'd want it to be".

I also have the reduced gas port kit from ASI, but with the action barely cycling with the factory port, I don't think there's any point in trying them again. Maybe when everything is more broken in.

Groups of 4 MOA @ 60 yards would probably translate into 4 inch groups @ 100 yards, which isn't completely off the grid awful. I will give this some time, if breaking in the new barrel and some more practise could shave off an inch or two, I'll be happy. I don't rule out that practising with this particular gun will improve my accuracy with it - I'm by no means a rifle world champion. But the way it was before - with 10 inch groups, shaving off an inch would be like peeing in the ocean.

My goal is to make this a 2 MOA rifle. That's good enough for roe deer at short to medium distances (up to 150 yards). And as far as I understand, this SHOULD have been a 2 MOA rifle straight out of the box. Which it definately was not.

The action is nice and smooth with the mag out, a bit more resistance with empty mag inserted, but nothing really noticable. It's when a round is chambered things are different, both with factory ammo and hand loads. Almost feels like it has too little headspace.

I only use original Ruger mags, mostly the 5 round, because it sits nice and flush, and we're not allowed to load the gun with more than 4 rounds of ammo for hunting anyway.

And I have been using moly-grease for lubrication. Also tried different sorts of gun oil, but moly-grease is by far the smoothest I have tried.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm guessing your hard-to-lockup issue is due to the recoil spring guide rod being installed upside down. Check to see if that is the case. This MAY also be the reason for sub-par accuracy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm guessing your hard-to-lockup issue is due to the recoil spring guide rod being installed upside down. Check to see if that is the case. This MAY also be the reason for sub-par accuracy.
It's basically not possible to mount the guide rod upside-down, it only goes in one way. If I insert it upside-down, the action is pretty much stuck, and it's not even possible to manually cycle it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's basically not possible to mount the guide rod upside-down, it only goes in one way. If I insert it upside-down, the action is pretty much stuck, and it's not even possible to manually cycle it.
ha, I did that :)

Glad you're up and running. I've had modifications to my rifle, but finding the right ammo for it helped a lot too. If I shoot 55gr it's crap for groups, and inconsistent, but at 68gr to 75gr it groups 1.5" @ 100yds and 3" @ 200yds, within the expected results for a Miini-14. If you don't have one already mounted, a level (anti-cant) might shave off a little in groups simply because of consistency. It greatly improved my aim.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts