Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reloading 7.5x55 swiss using Berdan Tula primers. I've noticed that they seat approximately .015 deep. Do I have a problem? I'm shooting them in a K-31 Schmitt Reubin.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have never reloaded berdan primmed ammo though I have gotten a couple mixed in with my .303 brass and tried to decap them, broke the decapping pin. I would think you wound seat them fully until they bottom out the same you would with boxer primers.

·
Registered
833 Posts
DO they go off in your particular rifle???

I had a bunch of issues reloading my 7.5 swiss ammo till I learned the "tricks"... its pretty finicky...

If they are going off... I would say have at it, and go with it. If not... then NO... thats not working for you! :) ( Yeah... captain obvious, I know )

SO... WHERE did you get the berdan primers??? and what method do you use to decap the brass????

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
"SO... WHERE did you get the berdan primers??? and what method do you use to decap the brass????

Tula berdan primers for 7.5x55 Swiss can be found at Powder Valley. Should be item number TULBER762N. $28/K.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Midway type stores sell a prying tool to remove a berdan primer.
An alternate method is the 'hydraulic' method. Support the rim of the case with a hole for the primer to exit. Pour water in the case, use appropriate sized dowel rod to fit in the neck, and give the dowel a whack. Hydraulic pressure should force the primer out.
Interweb search on removing berdan primers should tell you all you need to know.

I have some fired RUAG 7.5x55 that is berdan primed. I have NOT yet tried to deprime any of the cases. So I don't have first hand experience with either method.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer one of the questions as to where I got the Berdan primers. Got them from Graf and Sons. Decapped the primers with a reground chisel shaped like a half moon. Made a wooden shell holder with a half inch hole drilled into to a depth of approx. an inch and a half deep. The shoulder angle on the swiss round is 30 degrees which is convenient since the drill angle is 291/2 degrees. Pound the chisel into the primer inprint and pry them out.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I read this post yesterday. There are some interesting youtube videos on getting the primers out and seating new ones. I think I am going to save all my bedan primed brass in the future. I normally just throw it away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.