Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,273 Posts
I have never reloaded berdan primmed ammo though I have gotten a couple mixed in with my .303 brass and tried to decap them, broke the decapping pin. I would think you wound seat them fully until they bottom out the same you would with boxer primers.

· Registered
835 Posts
DO they go off in your particular rifle???

I had a bunch of issues reloading my 7.5 swiss ammo till I learned the "tricks"... its pretty finicky...

If they are going off... I would say have at it, and go with it. If not... then NO... thats not working for you! :) ( Yeah... captain obvious, I know )

SO... WHERE did you get the berdan primers??? and what method do you use to decap the brass????

:)

· Registered
8 Posts
Midway type stores sell a prying tool to remove a berdan primer.
An alternate method is the 'hydraulic' method. Support the rim of the case with a hole for the primer to exit. Pour water in the case, use appropriate sized dowel rod to fit in the neck, and give the dowel a whack. Hydraulic pressure should force the primer out.
Interweb search on removing berdan primers should tell you all you need to know.

I have some fired RUAG 7.5x55 that is berdan primed. I have NOT yet tried to deprime any of the cases. So I don't have first hand experience with either method.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer one of the questions as to where I got the Berdan primers. Got them from Graf and Sons. Decapped the primers with a reground chisel shaped like a half moon. Made a wooden shell holder with a half inch hole drilled into to a depth of approx. an inch and a half deep. The shoulder angle on the swiss round is 30 degrees which is convenient since the drill angle is 291/2 degrees. Pound the chisel into the primer inprint and pry them out.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
I read this post yesterday. There are some interesting youtube videos on getting the primers out and seating new ones. I think I am going to save all my bedan primed brass in the future. I normally just throw it away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.