Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I would like to know is their any ways to drecrease the temperature of the S/S barrel, my friend has a 90 rd magazine & shot all the 90 rds as fast as he could, the temperature was very high, the barrel changed colour & the barrel never returned to normal.

My friend says that the Blued Mini 14 will shoot fine with many rounds shot, but the S/S will not.

Can anyone help, ways to decrease the temperature when shooting many rounds.

:ar15: :samurai:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bubba I like to blow off rounds like anyone else, but you can burn a barrel out quick shooting like that. If you have ever shot a machine gun till its very hot and had a round cook off because the chamber is hot enough to make the round ignite it's not fun. It usually stops when you run out of rounds. I've never experienced it in a mini but an M60 with a worn sear can do it. Good luck and good shooting!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
The mini barrel will not take that kind of abuse, the metal is only .157 of an inch thick, the gass from the bullet is over 1500 degrees f. Wheather it be a SS or a blued barrel (only the bluing is covering up the color change), this heating to extreme heat, and letting it air cool will soften the metal, making it wear out very fast, and / or deforming it. Also mr. King is right on about the posibility of cooking rounds as they enter the chamber. Same as throwing one in the fire. A bull barrel, like on a varmint gun, will take more abuse, but even they have limits. If you can't stand to touch the barrel, then its too hot. Me, and a fellow Marine once burned up an M14 barrel with tracers. The barrel glowed in the dark a dull red. We were afraid to fire it any more, and turned it into the Armory. Just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.