Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, gotta admit, after reading all the threads on here, and on another forum on the Robinson Armament VEPR K (an AK variant), I am soooo confused. Price wise, the VEPR K is about $100 more than a mini SS ranch with wood stock. The VEPR is available in .223, 5.45mm, or 7.62mm., similar to the mini 14 or mini 30. But if I went with the mini 14, I have already decided that I would change the stock with a Hogue, and have to buy hi-cap magazines. The VEPR comes with a 30rd, synthetic stock, and scope mounting bracket, and will accept any AK magazines or drums. Accuracy wise, the VEPR is good for 2" @ 100 yds out of the box. OR...so they say. I still feel the accuracy depends alot on the shooter, too, for either of these guns. Both are very reliable in action. And as far as ammo goes, that would be a toss, as they are available in the same calibers. I do like both, but can only afford to get one for now. So, that is my dilemna. Any help/suggestions/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Slo

·
Registered
689 Posts
SlowRyde the Vepr is a very good rifle. I've checked'em out, I have a few Romanian SAR3's in 223. The quality of the Vepr is far better than the Romanian SAR3. From what I here the Vepr is more accurate than the Mini or SAR3 also. The biggest plus for the Vepr will be in magazines. You can buy the AK74 Bakelites used for $5.00ea. spend about 5 minutes with a dremmel and you have a 223 AK mag for your Vepr or SAR3 that will function with 20-25rnds of 223. If you buy the Robinson Arms followers for $6.00ea the mag will feed 30rnds.( this is what Robinson Arms does) You can also use 30rnd Bulgarian Poly mags that Chief sell at about $15.00ea. I don't believe the steel E. German mags (weiger mags) work in the Vepr's. The Mini's also a very dependable rifle and American made. The only downfall is the price of GOOD magazines and a little less accuracy. Some folks here have figured out some tricks to improve accuracy with muzzle brakes and other ways. Myself I've always liked the Mini, it's easy to take care of and very dependable with good magazines. But if your the type of person that likes to have alot of Hi Cap mags and not break the bank the Vepr might be the way to go. The Vepr's and SAR3's(223 cal. AK's) only down fall is lack of certain spare parts like an extra bolt assymbly, but most of the other parts from a 7.62X39 AK will fit. Theres also AR's and Armalites new 180 to choose from.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flak,
Thanks for the feedback. And yes, I've thought about the AR's and the AR180B too. I guess my main concerns were to find something that would be affordable, reliable, and somewhat accurate - and yes, with available parts to fix it, if it did break. I've always wanted a mini, and to tell you the truth, up until about a week ago, was all set to get one. Then after reading more of the threads, started adding up the modifications I would have to make to it, to bring it up to where it should be. The barrel was a concern too, and I don't think I could afford some of those fixes. According to what I've been reading, the VEPR's have been very reliable, not much more expensive, and fairly accurate - at least to as far out as I would want to be shooting. And they use the RPK style receivers - heavier milled than normal AK's. If Mr Ruger would pull the old head out and listen to even a few of the threads here, all it would take is a little heavier barrel, and we'd all be alot happier. Well...thanks again for the feedback. I guess if I still can't decide by tomorrow, there's always the old scientific method to fall back on....hmmmm....heads or tails???

Slo

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yes alot depends on what you'll need out of your rifle. I'm lucky and have a few 223 rifles to work with. And yes Ruger could do a heavy barrel production Mini with very little trouble, and cheaper than a gunsmith. They do runs of the 10-22 with a heavy hammer forged barrel in house. Not to upset anyone here but in a autoloader in 223 for accuracy the AR 15 is very hard to beat and spare parts can be had at more places than I could ever list. Good magazines are $20.00 a pop and it's American made. I wish you luck in your next purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flak,
Thanks again. Made the choice tonight. I traded the Yugo SKS I bought last week, and went with the VEPR II, in 7.62. I just figured for the money right now, it offers a little more knock down power, trading off trajectory and maybe some range. But, the spare parts are all there, mags are cheap, same with the ammo. And I've already started the piggy bank all over again, to either pick up a mini or maybe the AR180, or Olympic Arms Plinker, the next time around. But, thanks again for your help and feedback.

Slo :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts