Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble deciding whether to or not based on the liklihood of the upcoming legal fight on guns.

I want to have my muzzle threaded and put a Smith (good irons?) brake on it. If I do it becomes a 1 military item banned gun. Any other ummm, accessories can be removed and keep it legal under the grabber bill. Its a mini 30.

My other option would be to put a pin on brake on it but the Mo company hasn't made the one I want yet.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
For now you need to speak out in resistance to any restrictions to our Second Amendment rights. Nobody knows how it will shake out, but our loud and vocal expectation must be no damn ban. Get in the face of a progressive near ou now!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well, slight aside subject, but the Mo brake works well on the M30. I don't know what features you don't like, but its very functional and well made.

Wil

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
I still have the stock flash hider on my M30, but am interested in reducing muzzle flip (even tho there isn't much)... do any of the after-market brakes actually do that? From what I read, so many of the brakes on the market appear to be little more than decorations...

·
Registered
455 Posts
My whole purpose in getting the MoReaper was to reduce muzzle jump to allow for quick followup shots on running feral pig(s). It does the job well and I have no complaints.

As far as the flash hider qualities go, none of them have shot back at me so I suppose that's working, too.:lol:

Wil

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
same boat

I have a mini 14 tactical (factory threaded with flash hider.) I choose this model over a standard for the same muzzle flip charactoristics mentioned above.

I too was investigating the Smith good irons muzzle brake and the Mo-Reaper. The Mo-Reaper has the extra feature of a thinner front post (I'm and iron sights guy on my Mini.)

If such a ban (I'm fighting like H-E-double hockey stick, too) occurs, I'm wondering if a permanent installation of either of the two items above would make the firearm "legal."

I guess we'll wait and see what our elected idiots decide.

I've written my letters to my senators and representative. I intend to write to my state senators and representative if it looks bad for the 2A and remind them about nullification.

Keep up the good fight!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are for the AR 15 and M14 and other guns so they have the calibers we need. I think(he said) that if you have the right threads cut they will work for the mini 14 and 30. I read that the M14 one has 5/8 x 20 threads and the m14 is a 7.62. Am I right in assuming that if I have my threads cut 5/8 x 20 that it will work on a mini 30?

I would get a Mo brake but I want just the brake with no sight and they don't make that (yet, if ever, eventually, maybe someday).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a Mini-30 tactical: it's already threaded. I have no idea if my threads are compatible with the Smith Good Irons stuff? Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Smith offers the Good Iron in both the "old" 9/16-24 and "new" 1/2-28 thread for the Mini-14 Tactical (and I assume the Mini-30 Tac uses the 7.62 threads).

I installed a Smith Good Iron on my Mini-14 Tac in 2011, and it works like a champ:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Muzzle thread on Mini-30 Tactical is 5/8 x 24 TPI.

Why must Ruger always be "different"??? I love their guns, but it's a PITA.

Smith Good Irons
1005-SS
Good Iron 5.56mm/6.8mm/.30cal Muzzle Brake
For use with any weapon threaded 5/8”x 24, up to .30 Cal. Includes jam nut.

...looks like this one would fit; where did you get the bolt-on dovetail front sight?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The Mini14 can be threaded 1/2x28 TPI for any AR style brake or flash hider. You'll notice on the Ranch models that the front sight no longer sits atop the barrel OD, but rather has a "shelf" machined into the barrel for the sight. This presents the problem encountered with the Mini30 whereby the barrel must be threaded 9/16x24 TPI. The Major on the thread tenon is 0.5625" and the sight shelf is 0.565" (+/-) in diameter. Trying to thread the regular Mini30 to 5/8x24 TPI (@ 0.625" Major) won't allow you to reinstall the factory front sight.

Before you try to thread one at home be sure you can accurately cut the thread tenon and the sight shelf to relocate the front sight. Your thread tenon should be 0.500" to 0.600" in length which dictates relocation of the front sight. There's a lot of work I encourage home smiths to try and even have free videos for you, but this isn't one of them. And in regards to permanent attachment the ATF recognizes only welding, blind pinning, and soldering to the best of my knowledge. Welding and pinning are pretty self explanatory, but soldering must be done with something like Silvaloy 355 which melts at 1145 degrees F and flows at 1205 degrees F which prevents the removal of these parts by a propane torch.

I hope that helps.... BTW, what's up with the partner linking everywhere I wrote front sight? Please don't think I put it there to recommend anyone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
gundoc,

My 2012 Mini-30 Tactical is threaded 5/8 x 24. What I'm looking to do is, get a muzzle brake from Smith (listed above), and simply thread it on...

Not sure if your post was in reply to my questions, but is there any reason why I couldn't do that? (I've emailed Smith to verify the brake will indeed install on the Mini-30 tactical...waiting for reply)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
A muzzle brake is not a flash hider,(remember flash hiders are EVIL) even California with its assault rifle restrictions allows for a muzzle brake, though it has to be one that listed on their DOJ list of muzzle brakes and be permanently attached. I guess it will come down to the wording in any Federal assault weapon legislation that may come to pass.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
also my understanding is... such will be grandfathered in if it done before the new ban (if any)

they won't take away what you already have without starting a riot. (not yet anyway... :ph34r:)

so if you are going to do it... do it now. have it done by a reputable smith, so you can save the receipts for the work and the parts.

Until I left Cali - I was the proud owner of 2 15 round legal grandfathered magazines for my handgun (gun was originally equipped with them and I bought it just before they adopted their stupid laws.)

you won't need to disassemble your rifle to comply with whatever new idiocy comes down the pipe, provided it was built before whatever new idiocy is enacted...

·
Registered
620 Posts
"you won't need to disassemble your rifle to comply with whatever new idiocy comes down the pipe, provided it was built before whatever new idiocy is enacted... "

Not if Feinstein gets her way, plus it will be non-transferable.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
..where did you get the bolt-on dovetail front sight?
That is the standard factory sight for 580-up Mini's. I just painted it with some orange to stand out better.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is the standard factory sight for 580-up Mini's. I just painted it with some orange to stand out better.
Ah. Thought you had found something aftermarket that was painted... I wouldn't mind some low-light/glow-in-the-dark paint on mine either, but I hear that stuff doesn't work well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will be curious to see what the new ban will look like. Feinstein's 60 minutes interview after the last ban was very telling.."If I had the votes to ban them ALL, I would have".
That being said, I'm waiting till the drafts are publicized before I make any more mod's to my mini.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts