Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you used David Tubb's .22 Final Finish kit ammunition in your 10-22? If so.............what were the results?

I'm getting ready to lap a new crown on my barrel and thought it would be good to follow up with the Final Finish kit.

Any comments?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Have found many who claim it helped, and just as many who claim it didn't.

One universal recommendation is to wipe the grit off the cases before loading. Apparently they just dip the whole round into the grit, rather than the bullets themselves.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Step 1) Go to the beach, grab some sand and pack your barrel full.
Step 2) Using your foot, grind your ammo into the dirt
Step 3) Shoot said dirty ammo through sand packed barrel.

Just because some paid name recommends it, doesn't make it a good idea

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Step 1) Go to the beach, grab some sand and pack your barrel full.
Step 2) Using your foot, grind your ammo into the dirt
Step 3) Shoot said dirty ammo through sand packed barrel.

Just because some paid name recommends it, doesn't make it a good idea
I tried what you said. It removed all funny circular lines out of my barrel. Now it's shiny all over.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Wow..........nice review. Have you tried the system, or know of anyone who has? A few comments from users (satisfied or not) would be helpful.
I don't need to smack my nads with a hammer to know it's gonna hurt, either. :D

Any barrel that need fire lapping (AKA fire scrapping), should be returned to the manufacture for warranty replacement as defective (material & workmanship defect).

I also don't know of a single barrel maker that won't VOID the warranty if you do fire lap it (including the company that makes the barrels D.Tubbs uses).

But, if you've got the money for a new barrel burning a hole in your pocket.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll do that. Thanks for the helpful suggestion.:lol: .......................................Oh, wait, did you mean a brick-brick.......like a building brick, or a couple of bricks of rounds? Originally thought you were being facetious! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I guess I won't be running any "sand" through my barrel! :lol: Seems David Tubb can't ship any of their polishing rounds because they can't get the .22 ammo! After sending several e-mails concerning my order and receiving 'We have no idea when your order will ship and we appreciate your continued patience' I cancelled the order. I know things are slow right now, but this was ridiculous. So there won't be any report on results coming from me!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know it's been a long time since posting in this thread, but thought I'd follow up. I finally gave up on David Tubb and cancelled my order. I purchased a fire-lapping kit for another firearm from Beartooth Bullets. They outlined how to firelap .22 rounds. So I purchased the recommended bullets and got to work. Since the 10-22 I have is stainless, they said it would take much longer to properly firelap the barrel, so I'm not disappointed with the results, nor am I finished with the process. I carefully followed the instructions in the book and fired 4 sets of 5 bullets prepared as instructed. My starting groups with standard rounds was 1 3/8" at 25 yards off a lead sled. After only 20 lapping rounds, it had dropped to 1 1/8" at the same distance under the same circumstances. Proper firelapping is a tedious process and it was too hot for me to continue, so I cleaned up my mess and quit for the day. I plan on doing it again until I get it below an inch at 25 yards. That ought to get me head-shootin' squirrels!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.