Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started having a problem with my Taurus .38 revolver. About every 5 or 10 rounds, the trigger locks at the end of its travel, and won't go forward again until you wiggle the cylinder. I've cleaned and lubed it with no result, and tried different ammo with no effect. It never does this while dry firing, so I'm suspecting that the brass must be the cause of this. Is it possible for the cylinder to have moved back slightly, causing it to be too close to the rear of the pistol and occasionally letting brass grab against the frame?

I'm about to send it back to Taurus for the warranty repairs, but want to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious that I could take care of myself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thoroughly clean entire gun. My first advice. Could be brass sticking in chambers, or gunk inside works. Sideplate been off for internal cleaning? Cylinder been off?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've cleaned it within an inch of its life with no results. I just now noticed what the problem must be. I've been thinking the brass is causing it to hang at the rear somehow, but apparently its hanging at the front of the cylinder. The cylinder doesn't revolve exactly true anymore, and if you close it as far as you can and still turn it freely you can hear the cylinder scrape against the barrel at a certain point in the revolution. It doesn't have any noticable play in it, and it hasn't been abused, so I'm not sure what happened to it.

Turning it by hand, it turns fine for three holes, and then scrapes lightly for two holes. It adds noticable resistance while turning by hand, but not enough to notice while pulling the heavy DAO trigger. I'm guessing when it warms up and expands a bit, it scrapes a bit more heavily and causes it not to advance easily.

Thanks anyway, but I guess I'm going to have to test the Taurus warranty.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sounds like a slightly bent crane. Usually caused by someone flipping the gun to close the cylinder. You are right, it is time to test the Taurus warranty.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Boy its noy everyday you hear about a problem with a wheel gun. I recomended an accountant friend of mine to buy a Taurus revolver he occasionally has to deposit the company cash at night. I told him for the money and concealability the wheel gun is the way to go. Reliability was never in question. I hope all goes well with Taurus, what model 38 was that anyhow?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a model 85CH, stainless with wooden handle. I bought it used at a local shop, so it is possible it was abused by its previous owner. It appears to be in excellent condition though, with no scratches or dings, so I figured who ever had it didn't use it much or took good care of it. Maybe they just didn't know about flipping it closed causing problems, if that is what caused it. I had fired probably 300 rounds through it before the problem showed up. Perhaps it was just slightly bent, and the recoil worsened it?

I still think the Taurus is a quality product. I'm printing off the return forms now, so I'll let you know how their service is.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Doc
I normally refer to Taurus quality as being as high as S&W got down to. In other words, not bad. Keep us posted as to how well Taurus warranty work goes and what they found wrong.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Now i am really interested that is the exact same model My buddy has. His is a tank so I figured yours must have been abused or maybe some bad metal. It could happen, even with a quality manufacturer. Keep us posted.:usa:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been sent off. I had to arrange to have it returned to a family member's house, since I'm not home to sign for it.

I've been thinking about what could have caused it, and I think I hit on it last night. I used to carry it in the small of my back. The seats in my car are firm bucket seats. It often put pressure on it when I sat down and climbed back out of the car. Combine that with my 250 lb of mass, and I bet that's how the crane was bent, my fault, not that of the gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost forgot to post it, but the Taurus came back in perfect working order. A friend of mine has been wanting to buy it, but I didn't want to sell it until I knew it was fixed correctly. I'm going to sell it and purchase a similar Colt model from another buddy, but not because of any questions of reliability. My problem with the Taurus is I shoot low with it because I can't see the sights very well unless the light is just right. The Colt has very intuitive and brightly colored sights, and I shoot it better, both with sights and point shooting.

I still recommend Taurus highly, and will likely pick up a Raging Bull early next year.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Originally posted by punchie@Aug 30 2002, 12:43 AM
Sounds like a slightly bent crane. Usually caused by someone flipping the gun to close the cylinder. You are right, it is time to test the Taurus warranty.
That was my first thought on reading IP. I won't let strangers handle my DA revolvers anymore. Too many idiots got their gun-handling training from old gangster movies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts