Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many CWP holders check reciprocy laws before making vacation plans, and travel accordingly. For me I have been vactioning in the NC mountains but since NC doesn't offer reciprocy with FL I will be doing more of my mountain getaway trips over on the TN side of the mountains due to the reciprocy they offer me with my Florida CWP. Just wondered if others did similar planning. :usa:
 
G

·
I check www.packing.org which has excellent reciprocity information. I've ended up taking some interesting detours, but haven't actually canceled any travel plans due to reciprocity laws.

I took my wife to Chicago, which has a complete ban on handguns. **sarcastic remark for the day** It's been a stunning success at reducing crime from all appearances.

Anyway, we are big fans of aquariums, so we went up there to visit the one in Chicago. I'm about as comfortable in a big city as an Amish farmer would be. Not being armed added to the discomfort. I've been to Atlanta, DC (another complete ban area with similar success as Chicago), Houston, etc. etc., but I've never ever been anywhere like that place.

We stayed in a nice hotel with an underground parking garage and valet parking, because I didn't trust the city enough to leave the car exposed. Not just the threat of crime, but because I saw how the people drive. Attempt to merge, if you hear a horn return to your lane, if you don't hear a horn, complete merge.

I can't begin to imagine how people actually live there. It was a decent visit, but I doubt I'll ever go back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
My primary job is as a commodity distribution technician (pronounced: truck driver) so I travel more than a little. It is against corporate policy for me to carry when in a company vehicle. So I don't. Besides there are far to many places that I go to where it would be illegal and dangerous to carry.

I have a resident CCW permit for Va. and non-resident permits for Fl. and Ut. Where it is legal I carry. When I can't I normally have a variety of edged, legal weapons and/or an expandable baton. I have found that presence of your surroundings and avoidance (if possible) of dangerous situations take care of about 98% of the potential problems. The other 2% requires
training, training, and more training.

Of course being 6'4" and 270# with much less than a pleasing appearance helps. Kinda like the St. Bernard that growls, you really want to have second thoughts in case its Cujo.

My wife and I travel quite a bit on vacations and trips and we have never changed our plans due to restrictive carry laws in some areas. There is just too much of this wonderful country of ours that would be missed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of you make good points in my case I am just choosing to visit the states that will honor my FL CWL as I believe some folks from GA and TN do the same. If we could get the GOA or NRA to promote some type of tourism add campaign that states offering reciprocy for CWP of other states could benefit from increased tourism dollars from folks like us just looking to travel safe.Just a thought let me know what ya'll think about it.:usa:
 
G

·
I'd love to see national reciprocity, personally. At least a "tourist law" of some sort that keeps you covered if you're just passing through. Of course, I'd like a lot of things that I don't see happening soon.

I have a list of states that honor my permit, as the above web site lets you put in permits you hold and will automatically give you all other states that honor it. Just visiting states that allow me to carry is too restrictive on my personal travel, as I live in Indiana. I can go North or South, but East or West isn't happening unless I take huge detours around Illinois or Ohio.

I can take that list and visit the states web site for tourist attractions, but I'm typically not that organized. Most of our trips don't actually have a destination, just a general direction and "we'll know it when we see it." Works great for us, but might not work so well if your traveling with children.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The national reciprocy tourist thing is a great idea Doc ! I wish that come true too naturally Corruptafornia would bow out due to the liberal Hollywood population.:usa:
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top