Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of a little project for my pre-ban.
I have a nice 98% rifle with a M 14 look alike flash hider with lug on it. I am thinking of cutting the bbl down. I know, I know, there goes any of the accuracy left in the rifle. If I do this, I would have the bbl cut down with a match crown to apx 11 1/2 inches and then have the 5in flash hider permanently attached to make the bbl 16 1/2 in. over all to keep it legal. It would also be 26 and 1/2 inches long over all with my folder on it. The good folks at Accuracy Systems said they would do this for me for about $119.00. I would have done it already but I keep spening my $ on other toys. The front 3 blade site would be about 2 in. out in front of the gas block. I bet that out to about 50 yards I would get livable groups. And at 100 yards. Well, with my eyes, I do not shoot that far with out a scope. This would be more of a shoot and scoot rifle. Good for clearing rooms and should be easy to exit any car with it folded. So, lets hear it. What do you think? But please be kind.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hi Camera Man, Brad gave you 2 good threads to check out. Personally I haven't heard of a mini barrel being cut that short, so I would be interested to here from ya on how it shoots afterwards, using same ammo, range, conditions etc. For your stated purpose I believe it should work. You may find your favorite ammo has changed to something else, as the accuracy of some ammo is dependent on reaching a certain velocity. You will be somewhat short on velocity. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My brother has an AR with 11.5" barrel and 5" flash hider. It sucks. My theory, and I stress theory, is that the gases blow by the bullet and disrupt its stability as it travels to the vent slots in the flash hider. If you must do it use a flash hider with slots close to the end of the barrel. The other question is why would you want to waste that much barrel. You could cut it to 14.5” and put on a Phantom flash hider to get to 16”. You would have the same over all length and have more barrel to boost your velocity. You really need velocity in a 5.56mm gun. Read the .308 vs .223 threads. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too have had a short AR. A Car 15, 11in. bbl with 5 in flash hider. I got 4 to 5in. groups at 100 yards off a rest and scoped with cheep ammo. The scope was a Colt 4 x 20 that mounted on the carry handle. I would love to have that kind of group out of a short mini. As soon as I save up the $, I'll let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Please do. I would like to here how it goes. I think you could do better than 4 to 5" if you keep it 14.5" with a normal length flash hider. That grouping is about what my brother was getting too. He prefers the 20" upper for that reason. Good luck in your project.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some thinking and a little plinking I think I have changed my mind about cutting down my loaded per-ban. I also have a nice SS mini. A few years ago I took the front site off and put on an Eagle H&K post and ring muzz break. After shooting the 2 side by side this weekend I like the post and ring site over the 3 blade M1A type site. I have found that I can pick up the target faster for my 1st shot and even faster for the double tap. I can look just over the rear site and put the target in the mid. of the ring and pop off the round. At close range, 25 feet, its a few inches high, but if you are aiming center mass, that can be a good thing. The break is not as long as the M1A type so the bbl would not be cut down as far. Some where around 14 1/2 in. or so and then have the break perm. attached. I have read on this site that that leanth is pretty good. But my driving force is that I like the site picture much, much better. So it would be a win-win for me. And if the world ever does go down the tubs, the SS mini may hold up a little better in the long run. If you guys have never tryed the Eagle H&K style site, try to find someone with it on there mini and give it a shot or 2 or 30. You may find you like it too. And one other thing it has over someother front ends. Brownell's has it listed as a muzz break and not a flash hider so your good to go on post-bans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts