Perfect Union banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
These guys only go from 2 " to 18" (although they test a 20 " Winchester down at the bottom under Real World Guns.)
Except for the .223, all the loads tested by BBTI are handgun cartridges, so no long rifle barrels.
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .45 Colt Results
But several of the loads peaked out at 15 and 16 inches, 18" barrels got less velocity.

Most of the powders that we'd use for non magnum loads in the .44 Mag, .45 Colt, etc. are ones like Unique, Universal, Titegroup and W231.
Heck those all probably get a complete burn in a 5 inch barrel.

I had a Rossi 1892 .45 Colt with a 26 inch octagon barrel, no taper on that barrel and it was a beast.
I can understand why you'd want to cut down a 30 inch 1873. Even a 16" or 19" 1873 is heavy to me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Interesting website. When this crappy winter weather gets over I will set up my chronograph and test some velocities on my various .45colt rifles before I go whacking on this, just out of curiosity. I don’t really want to sell it, don’t need the money and don’t need to buy another .45 rifle but hate it standing in the back of my safe being unused. I usually sell stuff that I don’t shoot any longer. It is pretty and I would put it into my cas rifle rotation with the shorter barrel. Tried it with my 255 gr .45 Schofield loads today and they wouldn’t feed but they feed ok in my short ‘73, so however much magazine room I need for 9/10 .45colt rounds [plus spring and follower] might be my barrel length given it’s cosmetics.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Relax Bob, we're talking about the 7.62 x 39 here. Velocity loss isn't a "thing" with the x39 like it is with 7.62 x 51, 55.6mm, etc.
Russian ammo in particular seems to be loaded with a faster burning powder that achieves optimal velocity in a 16" barrel.
If I was worried about extreme range I wouldn't be using a 7.62 x 39 either.
Just let us enjoy our inferior short range cartridge.
I'm going to be "that guy" who [i[sometimes[/i] argues against cutting-down perfectly good barrels.

One loses bullet velocity in "cutting-down" barrels, and so reduces the effective range of one's firearm.

It's an individual choice, and the ramifications of shortening one's barrel ought to be carefully considered.

Once the barrel is cut, very tough to go back.

I understand that there are are different viewpoints and respect them. Just offering mine.
when it comes to Mini 14's there is only one true guru here. Thanks for all your input Sandog

·
Formerly "raf"
3,881 Posts
Relax Bob, we're talking about the 7.62 x 39 here. Velocity loss isn't a "thing" with the x39 like it is with 7.62 x 51, 55.6mm, etc.
Russian ammo in particular seems to be loaded with a faster burning powder that achieves optimal velocity in a 16" barrel.
If I was worried about extreme range I wouldn't be using a 7.62 x 39 either.
Just let us enjoy our inferior short range cartridge.
I'm not "dogging" anyone or anything. Just offering a personal opinion. To each their own.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,648 Posts
Depending on powder type and bullet weight, 7.62x39 only loses about 12 -15 fps per inch loss of barrel length.

.223 in a Mini-14 loses a little more, but it's nothing major. I cut my Mini-30 down to exactly 18" and actually gained velocity. I also installed a reduced gas bushing, which may have something to do with the gain in velocity... I don't know. Anyway, I'm happy with the results.

Other calibers will see more significant loss in velocity in shorter barrels. 30-30 Win is one of them, but there are many others.

(I'm sure someone is going to ask why I only cut half an inch off my Mini-30 barrel. I'll explian if anyone wants to know)

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,648 Posts
Well, the obvious answer is to eliminate barrel damage and get back to good rifling but I’ll guess you’re slightly ocd and all your rifles either have even or odd length barrels.

Good guess and those would be good reasons.

I'm mostly fine with the 18.5" barrel length, but here's the scoop.

1) Upon slugging my barrel I found the bore groove diameter near the muzzle to be slightly greater than the rest of the barrel, which is bad for accuracy

2) I use a slip-on sight/flash hider and the notch on the barrel for the pin was slightly too far forward for my muzzle device to fit snug against the muzzle. It fit ok just like the Eagle type, but it left a slight gap between the end of the muzzle and where the muzzle device begins

3) The outside diameter of the barrel tappers down a bit the last half inch or so, which is less than ideal for a slip-on muzzle device

4) I wanted to recrown to an 11 degree target crown

5) And ok, maybe a little OCD about even length barrels. My CZ 527 has a 21.875-inch barrel and it drives me crazy. I just call it 22" and try best I can to stuff the emotional turmoil swirling around inside my being 😅

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I hear you. I should just call my short barrel an even 16" instead of 16.25". The extra 1/4" is just to play it safe and keep the "Man" off my back.

Maggie has a barrel that is a shade over 17" and I can't remember why I decided to cut it to that length. Maybe to help off-set the length of the Choate FH I was putting on.
As it turns out, 17" is a nice compromise between 16" and 18" !

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,648 Posts
I thought about doing 17" or 17.5". As it is with 18" my flash hider brings the total length back up to 19.25". It's still the shortest total length for this barrel since I've been using flash hiders.

With my old Eagle flash hider and 18.5" barrel it was right at 20".

I like it well enough. It's still officially carbine length and feels right. It's got good balance. When I get a second Mini-30 I'll seriously consider a 16" Tactical or cutting one down to 16.25 or 16.125. Gotta have that little extra above 16" in case "The Man" has a measuring device that's an nth different than ours.

Funny thing though, my Remington 870 came from the factory years ago at exactly 18" on the nose. You don't see that very often. Everyone else I know with a short shotgun has an 18.5" barrel.

Cutting my Mini-30 down to 18" may have made things worse as far as discussing it. Now when I say I have an 18" barrel people assume I mean 18.5" as it came from the factory. So now I have to say, "My 18" barrel Mini-30, and I don't mean 18.5" which is even more words to describe it. 😅

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
444 Posts
Had a thought yesterday though about bore runout on my excessively long barrel. These very long octagon barrels are not necessarily true in the center as i believe they are drilled but turned with the bore centered at the muzzle and breach. The flats are then milled. I would hate to cut it and find the bore with a runout where I’ve cut. More research needed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I thought about doing 17" or 17.5". As it is with 18" my flash hider brings the total length back up to 19.25". It's still the shortest total length for this barrel since I've been using flash hiders.

With my old Eagle flash hider and 18.5" barrel it was right at 20".

I like it well enough. It's still officially carbine length and feels right. It's got good balance. When I get a second Mini-30 I'll seriously consider a 16" Tactical or cutting one down to 16.25 or 16.125. Gotta have that little extra above 16" in case "The Man" has a measuring device that's an nth different than ours.

Funny thing though, my Remington 870 came from the factory years ago at exactly 18" on the nose. You don't see that very often. Everyone else I know with a short shotgun has an 18.5" barrel.

Cutting my Mini-30 down to 18" may have made things worse as far as discussing it. Now when I say I have an 18" barrel people assume I mean 18.5" as it came from the factory. So now I have to say, "My 18" barrel Mini-30, and I don't mean 18.5" which is even more words to describe it. 😅
Had a thought yesterday though about bore runout on my excessively long barrel. These very long octagon barrels are not necessarily true in the center as i believe they are drilled but turned with the bore centered at the muzzle and breach. The flats are then milled. I would hate to cut it and find the bore with a runout where I’ve cut. More research needed.
Going to cut a 580 series down to 16.5"
Going to do it by hand 😱
Any tips?
Several years ago I got tired of my 188 series occasional flyers and paid a smith $100 to cut and crown to 16.25 plus a FH. No more flyers, however it made the gun much louder for the folks on either side. Also had to reinstall original gas bushing to get reliable cycling. No regrets!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is there any way to check for runout [where the drill bit wanders in a long barrel]. The only thought that I had was to use a 7/16 ? [or bigger] inch x 36 inch long rod to see if it tightened up as it was pushed through the .45 caliber barrel. I can’t think of any way to really measure it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Rather than have a uncorrectable runout i decided to just have the barrel replaced with a 20 inch. It’s at The Cowboy Shop and hopefully will be back next week. I’ll try to sell the barrel and mag tube. It’s also getting a Codymatic action job which are slicker than snot. Never shot one but have handled a couple. Spending my son’s inheritance. Photos soon.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Done. Here it is with the swapped 20 inch barrel and longer forearm. Also had an action job and I added a lighter mainspring. Needs a lever wrap. It had some blemish on the dust cover that I’ve cleaned up and filled a screwhole in the tang for the tang sight that was on the 30 inch gun. Very happy with it.
Wood Plant Rectangle Road surface Line

41 - 57 of 57 Posts