Perfect Union banner

Cutting Barrel Down

6K views 56 replies 16 participants last post by  Baltimoreed 
Where is sense of adventure :p
I have always liked doing things myself and just tired of having someone else do it.
I have a smith that can do it for me but I think I will give it a go. If I mess up, no biggie I can have him fix it or just
order another barrel from ASI.
I have two other projects going as well, rebarrel jobs I am going to do myself.
One is a 98 Mauser and the other a Rem 700.
Wish I had a Lathe, life would be much easier.
I bought a Ruger factory heavy barrel from ASI several years ago. I had access to a lathe and installed it myself. The first time I ever did a barrel swap that required the use of a lathe. I had a major issue with the barrel getting it to shoot. I finally figured out the barrel was not property rifled to the end of the muzzle. I have never really got the rifle to shoot up to it's fullest potential. I think the barrel is just "sick". That is probably why the original owner sent it to ASI and had them install one of their barrels on his Mini. So, if you think you are getting a Ruger factory barrel and just doing a swap, keep in mind someone else has already shot the barrel and was not happy with it.

I will say I did enjoy the experience of machining a barrel and making it shoot. Hylander if you are in central Iowa I would help you crown that barrel.

kwg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.