Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
A new fine tooth blade, go slow, wrap painters tape around the barrel and draw your line on it. But you need a way to face the muzzle square. Brownells has facing cutters and bore guides. Or borrow your buds tools [like I have]. Done 4 rifles and 4 shotguns, not hard. This is how far bubba was off on an ‘03 sporter that I remilitarized. Might want to cut it longer for practice and then do your real cut.
Light Paint Cylinder Household hardware Material property

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
There are some things I'm willing to try. This isn't one of them. I'll find a trusted gunsmith to cut, thread and crown and pay the man for his skills should I ever feel the need. I'm preserving my one 583 naked Ranch in the event times change and evil "assault weapon" definitions change. It is my only Mini without a flash hider and threaded barrel.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some things I'm willing to try. This isn't one of them. I'll find a trusted gunsmith to cut, thread and crown and pay the man for his skills should I ever feel the need. I'm preserving my one 583 naked Ranch in the event times change and evil "assault weapon" definitions change. It is my only Mini without a flash hider and threaded barrel.
Where is sense of adventure :p
I have always liked doing things myself and just tired of having someone else do it.
I have a smith that can do it for me but I think I will give it a go. If I mess up, no biggie I can have him fix it or just
order another barrel from ASI.
I have two other projects going as well, rebarrel jobs I am going to do myself.
One is a 98 Mauser and the other a Rem 700.
Wish I had a Lathe, life would be much easier.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
My spirit of adventure died with my wife last fall. There are too many other things/creatures to care for that are more important, and always will be. Mechanical things like my Minis are important, but not more important than my life's commitment to our remaining horse and two barn cats that have shown such love and trust: a tribute to my beloved wife.

So I will be a bit silent on this blog until I sort things out, but priorities always to JoAnne's Living legacy of our Hawk and our two barn kitties. Having a great "crown" or superb accuracy just doesn't measure up to the most fundamental love of living creatures.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Where is sense of adventure :p
I have always liked doing things myself and just tired of having someone else do it.
I have a smith that can do it for me but I think I will give it a go. If I mess up, no biggie I can have him fix it or just
order another barrel from ASI.
I have two other projects going as well, rebarrel jobs I am going to do myself.
One is a 98 Mauser and the other a Rem 700.
Wish I had a Lathe, life would be much easier.
I bought a Ruger factory heavy barrel from ASI several years ago. I had access to a lathe and installed it myself. The first time I ever did a barrel swap that required the use of a lathe. I had a major issue with the barrel getting it to shoot. I finally figured out the barrel was not property rifled to the end of the muzzle. I have never really got the rifle to shoot up to it's fullest potential. I think the barrel is just "sick". That is probably why the original owner sent it to ASI and had them install one of their barrels on his Mini. So, if you think you are getting a Ruger factory barrel and just doing a swap, keep in mind someone else has already shot the barrel and was not happy with it.

I will say I did enjoy the experience of machining a barrel and making it shoot. Hylander if you are in central Iowa I would help you crown that barrel.

kwg

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a Ruger factory heavy barrel from ASI several years ago. I had access to a lathe and installed it myself. The first time I ever did a barrel swap that required the use of a lathe. I had a major issue with the barrel getting it to shoot. I finally figured out the barrel was not property rifled to the end of the muzzle. I have never really got the rifle to shoot up to it's fullest potential. I think the barrel is just "sick". That is probably why the original owner sent it to ASI and had them install one of their barrels on his Mini. So, if you think you are getting a Ruger factory barrel and just doing a swap, keep in mind someone else has already shot the barrel and was not happy with it.

I will say I did enjoy the experience of machining a barrel and making it shoot. Hylander if you are in central Iowa I would help you crown that barrel.

kwg
Thanks for the offer, I wish I were in Iowa.
I bought a 580 series barrel from ASI a few months back, perfect condition.
Me and my local smith did the install on a pre 580 series, pretty easy with a lathe.
This is the barrel I would be cutting down. Worse comes to worse I can always screw the original barrel back on.
Have to put it on hold for awhile since Brownell's is out of stock on the tools.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,881 Posts
Handier, easier to pack for travel, May tighten up groups.
And I just can't leave well enough alone 🙃
This is a pre 580 with a post 580 barrel.
Just wondering and not passing judgment; it's your rifle, and entirely your call.

By cutting the barrel you will also slightly reduce bullet velocity, slightly reduce the overall range, and also reduce the range at which the bullets will reliably yaw and fragment within the target. If you are comfortable with these trade-offs, then go for it. Plenty of other folks have done so.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I used a precision machining vise with a set of float vee jaws. As long as cut using a guide like the side of a precision vise so you're perpendicular. I finished it up with new fine file, then crowned and flashider on top.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My spirit of adventure died with my wife last fall. There are too many other things/creatures to care for that are more important, and always will be. Mechanical things like my Minis are important, but not more important than my life's commitment to our remaining horse and two barn cats that have shown such love and trust: a tribute to my beloved wife.

So I will be a bit silent on this blog until I sort things out, but priorities always to JoAnne's Living legacy of our Hawk and our two barn kitties. Having a great "crown" or superb accuracy just doesn't measure up to the most fundamental love of living creatures.
Beautiful statement, which says a lot about you. God Bless
Ralph

1 - 20 of 57 Posts