Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Because of the shape of the .223 case. There is a slight tapering of the case from the base up to the neck, before the shoulder (0.021" to be precise). If you stand two shells up on a flat surface with their bases touching, you will be able to see a vee of light between the shells, getting wider near the top. Since the rounds are staggered when loaded into a magazine, this taper is accentuated. It is still a slight taper, but I believe the curve in the magazines is to keep an equal force vector on the side of the shells, and to make sure the round is aligned well with the breech for feeding. I'm no expert, but thats my theory. This is why a 40 rounder is more curved than a 30, etc.

It also makes them look cool. :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you ask me, the curved hi-cap is the only ugly thing about the mini. I like the straight ones myself, but then the more you can get it to look like its big brother, the M-14, the better. I recall seeing some straight 20 round mags somewhere, but can't find the site. Has anyone heard of them, and are they any good?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
satan has it down pat, with the force vectors. It is more efficient for a smaller space. I like my mags like my women, with curves, not straight. or pear shaped. :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Curved mags get in the way when I use my sling to shoot. Anyway, I found the straight mags I was talking about at http://www.copesdist.com/mini14.htm . It looks hi-quality, but I wonder if it would work well because of its shape. I imagine it would feed improperly. Heck, I wonder if it is even for the mini-14. Still, I'm tempted to try one out....

·
Registered
166 Posts
wow i never thought of that...
i always thought that the curved mags came about so that they wouldn't dig into the dirt while shooting prone.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey wyatt. I had to look at the first picture a couple of times. It is an edge view of picture #2. They are curved mags only.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, they changed the picture! When I put up the link, they had a different set of mags that were straight. I e-mailed them about it, but I am still waiting for a reply. By the way, are the mags they do have any good?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts