Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
580series mini14 with the 1in9" twist thicker barrel, not target version.

I have some 60gr and I think a few 55gr Vmax bullets, I also have some 60gr nosler BTs too.

Question for you guys, knowing I'm using varget, is there a certain bullet you'd recommend I'd try out? I'm going to try some loads with the bullets I have kicking around currently, anything else I should try out?
I was thinking some 63gr Sierra SMP

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 63 grain Sierra Semi Point did not shoot well in my 583 series mini. Same them for your bolt gun if you have one.

I tried lots of loads spread over many different bullet weights and types.

50-55 grain bullets provided the best performance. Didn't seem to matter much what powder or primer was used.

I did find a 60 grain bullet that performed well too.

·
Banned
631 Posts
I am using Hornady factory 55gr HP.
Anything will work well as long you hit them damned rotten things!

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I like shooting anything boat tail 50-65 gr, usually ballistic tip stuff I have done well with 40 gr too, I get most of my bullets from here.

SPS Bullets

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
The most accurate load out of my mini is 60gr Sierra's and H335. The 65gr Sierra shoots pretty good too. I have used both for hunting.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I really like the Sierra bullets in 55 & 65 gr btsp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So many choices!
At what point(accuracy I guess) would you say 'this is my bullet, this is my load' and stick with it?

Fur friendly is a bonus

·
Registered
250 Posts
So many choices!
At what point(accuracy I guess) would you say 'this is my bullet, this is my load' and stick with it?
When you have absolute confidence you will hit what you aim at when you pull the trigger.

Reactions: tcsafety

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Shoot 5 groups of 5 shots with different ammo and pick your best load from there. Use 5 different targets and label each target.

Reactions: tcsafety

·
Registered
666 Posts
My mini shoots 1.5 MOA groups all day @ 100yds with the Sierra 53gr HP match bullet over 26gr H335 OAL 2.23". For coyotes I drill out the HP a bit with a 3/64" (I think) drill bit using a drill press on the loaded ammo to ensure the HP opens up reliably. The drilled ammo shoots 1/4" larger groups.

The Sierra 65gr SP and the Hornady 60gr SP are good bullets too.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
My mini shoots 1.5 MOA groups all day @ 100yds with the Sierra 53gr HP match bullet over 26gr H335 OAL 2.23". For coyotes I drill out the HP a bit with a 3/64" (I think) drill bit using a drill press on the loaded ammo to ensure the HP opens up reliably. The drilled ammo shoots 1/4" larger groups.

The Sierra 65gr SP and the Hornady 60gr SP are good bullets too.
Nice pics. What scope are you using, and does the leather on the buttstock give you a better cheek weld? Or is it for another purpose. Looks cool.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm using a Redfield Revolution 2X7 variable with the Accu-Range reticle. The leather is a shotgun raised comb for a better cheek weld. I also put electrical tape along the edge of the recoil pad so it doesn't catch clothing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to get some 69gr smk and some of the lighter match bullets.

That's the current plan. My range is under snow now, everything is under snow, likely won't be shooting again till spring.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I love to hunt in the snow and make snow zombies to shoot!

Attachments

Reactions: Phish and tcsafety

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I'm going to get some 69gr smk and some of the lighter match bullets.

That's the current plan. My range is under snow now, everything is under snow, likely won't be shooting again till spring.
Does Canada allow wolf hunting?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm looking at the 5.56 Mk318 62 gn. round. The Marines adopted it recently. Initial studies showed that insurgents hit by it suffered larger exit wounds. The round is said to be devastating against bad guys. The front half of the bullet fragments very consistently, creating what has been described as a "snowstorm" of lead in the first few inches of soft tissue. The solid copper rear of the bullet then penetrates around 18" of ballistic gelatin while tumbling.

It is a penetrator round but different than the M855. The bullet was named the Open Tip Match Rear Penetrator. The front of it is a hollow point backed up by a lead core, but the lead core only goes about halfway down the length of the bullet; the rear half is solid brass. When the OTMRP bullet hits a hard barrier, such as the windscreen of a car being driven by a suicide bomber, the front half of the bullet smooshes against the barrier, breaking it so the "penetrator" half of the bullet can fly through and hit the target beyond. This "barrier blind" bullet acts like two bullets in one, the second brass bullet flying exactly through the hole made by the first lead bullet.

Has a muzzle velocity of about 2900. Has been shown to be much more effective out of shorter barrels.

The new 5.56 NATO open tip ammo goes by SOST, OTMRP, "Barrier Blind", and Mk318 Mod 0. Regardless of name, it works better!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56×45mm_NATO#Mk318

I'm thinking it may be good for coyotes, hawgs, zombies, and bad folks making poor life decisions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts