Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a post here about the first round in a 20 round clip being a flyer ,what might be the possibility that there is a difference in point of impact when you drop a round into the chamber and release the bolt versus release the bolt and let it strip a round out of the clip or say the round cycles after firing the first round . The 2nd round chambered after the normal cycle would be chambered rather robustly compared to the others . I am sure this is covered in other post and expressed more clearly than I am trying to do !!

·
Super Moderator
240 Posts
I value extractors too much to drop a loosie round in...

Your answer is probably found in your Lazy Shooter thread, the synopsis is: Consistency is key.
Keep everything consistent between shots, log every shot, and then you can start to look at harmonics and dial the gun in. There are many threads here on how to improve Mini accuracy.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,017 Posts
Most rifles which are normally intended to be fed from a magazine will likely suffer less extractor wear and tear if so fed. It is possible for some semi-auto rifles which are normally mag-fed to have "issues" when a single round is manually chambered, and the semi-auto bolt is allowed to slam forward on the ctg, unimpeded and thus slowed by having to strip the round from the magazine on the way home. Those semi-auto rifles with "floating" firing pins are those most likely to have "issues". Note that the Minis have "floating" firing pins. So do the AR, M1 and M1A rifles, but at least there is a S.L.E.D for the M1. https://milsurpexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/P1790980.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use a SLED in my AR for cartridges (0AL) to long for the mag. Also, a great safety feature as the bolt locks open.
A cold bore in, most firearms, delivers a flier just as a hot bore will cause accuracy degradation. Marlin 45 has one of the better ideas for the first round. I do not own a "mini", though from experience with firearms both bolt and semi-auto it seems to hold true.
WI_Hedgehog has got my melon working. Remove the ejector and leave the extractor from my AR, maybe the brass is easier to find, if that works, I'll just buy another carrier to modify. My single shot target rifles only have the extractor, just use my fingertip to pop out the case.
DD

·
Super Moderator
240 Posts
A cold bore should not deliver a flier, it should deliver a first-round hit.

If you don't know where your first round is going to go, why don't you know where your first round is going to go?

The answer is usually that someone scrubbed the barrel as shiny as a new copper pan, which is great if it's a museum piece. If you think of barrels more like a cast iron skillet that needs to be seasoned, and stay seasoned, consistency will most likely improve. If shot #1 has no copper fowling but leaves copper fowling, shots 2, 3, 4, etc will be shot through copper fowling unless you're cleaning the fowling after every shot. At some point equilibrium exists where a new round removes as much copper as it deposits, and that's when groups tend to be their tightest because the barrel conditions are changing the least. Clean the powder residue at the range right after shooting (don't let it harden), leave the copper alone.

However, if the barrel is bent and heat straightens it out, different story (re-barrel). If the round isn't in the sweet spot of the harmonics and heat causes the powder to burn faster and bring the round into the sweet spot, different story (change the powder charge or projectile weight or use a barrel tuner). If the shooter is not settled in to a proper shooting position on the first round, different story (find a natural position).

Now, that's just my opinion, so it's perhaps worth as much as you paid. My problem is while steel targets are pretty compliant about shooters taking a few slighter shots or burring a few in the berm, most live things are not so understanding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe you can explain to me why my long range, F-Class, needs two (2) rounds through it with a cold barrel. The two (2) rounds @ 100 yds are side by side. After that all rounds are pretty much the same hole.
DD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts