Perfect Union banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:unsure:I have a Contender i deer hunt with most of the time i use the Super 14 chambered in 35 remington . but i have took a couple with my 14in 45/410
when i wanted to change things up. My question is is it safe to use the 45 Long Colt +P ammo in the contender and is there that much difference in performance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
After researching this for myself, I am going to try working up some handloads to +P pressures/velocities. Research was fairly easy with Google searches. I also came across an article years ago written by John Linebaugh. If you don't know about him, he seems to be a handcannon dude as well as Elmer Keith. Link to the article is below.

Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns - The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Legend

wellsc1

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes you can fire +P 45 Colt loads in a Contender I do all the time in my 10" and 14" 45 Colt barrels.

I got involved with these top +P 45 Colt loads due to the writings of John Linebaugh and Ross Siegfried I was reading them when they had just been written...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My first set of test loads, incrementing .5 gr. per round got me to 27 gr. of H110 and Lg. Pistol Magnum primers without any signs of overpressure. The bullet used was a 250 gr. Oregon Trail Laser Cast Round Nose, Flat Point with a reported Brinnel Hardness Number of 24. Velocity 10 ft. from the muzzle achieved 1338 fps. I have two more test rounds to try now - one with 27.5 and one with 27.7 gr. of H110. If that shows no signs of over pressure, I may increment .2 gr. at a time, loading just one round at a time test. CYA - I take no responsibility for others trying to use this information for their firearm. I haven't stated all the data necessary to even take credit. Load up at your own risk. wellsc1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts