Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this terrific board and have a question...

I live in NY State and am considering a Mini 14 580 Series. Since I'm limited to Pre-Ban magazines and cannot live with 5 round mags, what are my options for purchasing NY Pre-Ban mags???

Thanks in advance for your help with this...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just joined this terrific board and have a question...

I live in NY State and am considering a Mini 14 580 Series. Since I'm limited to Pre-Ban magazines and cannot live with 5 round mags, what are my options for purchasing NY Pre-Ban mags???

Thanks in advance for your help with this...
I bought a 40 rnd pre ban from a buddy and a 20 at a gun store. Just be sure of what you're buying and who you're buying it from.

Also, 10 round mags are legal in nys. Twice as good as a 5! Factory mags seem to be the way to go as far as reliablity goes.

btw, welcome to the Perfect Union!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I know about the 10 round thing, but want more...like my rights... I guess that's the price we pay living in NYS.

I'll search around for some pre-bans before I buy the Mini.

Any good sources to recommend?

·
Registered
229 Posts
In any practical sense, I don't believe anyone has ever been prosecuted in NYS for having a "high-capacity magazine" unless there were other pending charges. IOW, nobody is going to arrest you for just using 20, 30 round mags at the range.

Now for the letter of the law ...
Article 265 of the Penal Code
§ 265.00 Definitions.
23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September
thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or
that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten
rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include
an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating
only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

... are illegal in New York. PERIOD. If you are caught with one, you are in violation. The onus is then upon you to prove the mag is pre-ban. How do you do that? You can't. It's almost impossible. Magazines of certain types were only manufactured prior to the ban, but you would have to produce provenance to that effect. Good effin' luck.

A lot of people will tell you the burden of proof is on the State. Wrong. You're already in violation simply by possessing the "LCAFD". You must prove you are covered by the exception. A lot of people will sell you 20, 30, 40 round mags they say are pre-ban. Sure. Most of them are FoS.

I use only Ruger 5 and 10 round magazines in my Mini. That's what I recommend. They're perfect for range shooting and that's mostly all I do. If I need more than 10 rounds to resolve an "issue", I've got bigger problems than running out of ammo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A friend of mine is in the military. He came back from weekend warrior duty and gave me 3 30 rounders. On the bottom of them is stamped the date which was from 1992. Look for them they are out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts